Max wieght for a forwarder to lift?

Cheers J.

It's actually for a static winch im adapting to put a grab bar on for getting forwarded into sites. So will have no problems grabbing/gripping it as will be plastic coated like grab tanks.

That's why really needs to be a straight lift, had convinced myself was all ok but just dropped it off at the welders ( actually John's who repaired ur wee forwarder J) and he put doubt in my head.

As he thought it looked awuffy heavy, im sure only about 1.6T with its wheels on, but he's got a load cell so will find out over next few days.

Cheers again everyone

• Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 21:36, aspenarb said:

The gear that cant be straight lifted can normally be wrestled over the side.

Bob

This one was a bit like that, had to be pulled through a couple of centuries old stone pillars, then twisted on the truck, too heavy and risky to lift over.

lovely to watch.

D8F7DB97-8D9C-48F7-B82F-DC2592C02CC7.jpeg

• Like 5

Just to update thread.

Spoke to a couple of salesmen the day for 2 of the big brands.

They just laughed when I said trying to get head round kNm's, said it's just a bunch of bs really.

Obviously depend on machine size and distance but most will be about 1- 1.5T realistically, ( 1100l grab tank being about limit) perhaps 2T, they do reckon the new big ponsse can lift 3T thou

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Just to update thread.

Spoke to a couple of salesmen the day for 2 of the big brands.

They just laughed when I said trying to get head round kNm's, said it's just a bunch of bs really.

Obviously depend on machine size and distance but most will be about 1- 1.5T realistically, ( 1100l grab tank being about limit) perhaps 2T, they do reckon the new big ponsse can lift 3T thou

i was,nt going to say owt but when i was talking to Ball,y a few week ago we was on about this and he said about 1,5 tonne and the newer machine a bit better at about 2 tonne, but was reading all replies above and just amazed that one will lift 8 tonne ????..

14 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

all replies above and just amazed that one will lift 8 tonne ????..

As @Dan Maynard pointed out I had done a rapid calculation on the gross  torque figure given by the OP and that torque has to rotate the whole weight of the main boom, dipper, rotator and grapple and lift the load at the distance from the hinge pin, resulting in a  much reduced weight of log. As I said my cranab 4510 (45 years old now) will lift 2 tonnes close in if the tractor doesn't fall over.

• Like 1

Must admit I did think 8T was a lot, that's a big stick.

But both the reps laughed when said trying to figure it out from the kNm's don't think they have a clue how it relates to wieghts either.

Cheers open :thumbup1: I'm sure ur calcs are right, just be the difference in all the things u mentioned.

Think in the brochures they will be scared to give exact wieghts in case a machine tips over lifting stated wieght

Seemingly vids online of the new big ponsse straight lifting a 3T dead wieght onto bunk

My Komatsu 840TX has a fairly strong Cranab crane on it and the heaviest stick I've measured and worked out the weight of was 2.3t (a very girthy 3.75m spruce stick). That was a fairly easy lift over the pins.

The issue with forwarders is that the pins are largely fixed and with girthy lumps, you have to lift them pretty high to clear the pins. 

I'd guess my forwarders comfortable limit is about 2.5t

3 hours ago, Big J said:

My Komatsu 840TX has a fairly strong Cranab crane on it and the heaviest stick I've measured and worked out the weight of was 2.3t (a very girthy 3.75m spruce stick). That was a fairly easy lift over the pins.

The issue with forwarders is that the pins are largely fixed and with girthy lumps, you have to lift them pretty high to clear the pins. 

I'd guess my forwarders comfortable limit is about 2.5t

Evening J

The cranab on the Komatsu isn’t actually a very powerful crane compared to others on the market. The 1110D/E crane has better lift but is slower through the motions and the Ponsse cranes even more power/lift. Unless you’ve got a power boost on that crane can’t see it lifting any more than my grab tank which when full is 1800kg and the tx really struggles to lift it high enough to slide it between the pins onto the bunk. 

2 minutes ago, Elmsdown Forestry said:

Evening J

The cranab on the Komatsu isn’t actually a very powerful crane compared to others on the market. The 1110D/E crane has better lift but is slower through the motions and the Ponsse cranes even more power/lift. Unless you’ve got a power boost on that crane can’t see it lifting any more than my grab tank which when full is 1800kg and the tx really struggles to lift it high enough to slide it between the pins onto the bunk. 

Odd. It's certainly powerful enough for everything I've chucked at it so far. The 3.75m spruce mentioned was 100cm on the butt and 82cm at the top end. No problem for it at all. And I loaded it onto an artic too.

IMG_20191008_153759.jpg

Edited by Big J
Adding photo

1 minute ago, Big J said:

Odd. It's certainly powerful enough for everything I've chucked at it so far. The 3.75m spruce mentioned was 100cm on the butt and 82cm at the top end. No problem for it at all. And I loaded it onto an artic too.

Yeah they are fine cranes not faulting that but 2 4.9m Corsican pine logs where weighing 1350kg on the forwarder scale and x loading was on its limit.