New Addition

5 shires

Hello All 

for those of you who are dog lovers and especially working dog enthusiast here is my new addiction,he’s a sprocker and he’s now 10 weeks old had him a couple of weeks now.

been looking for a working sprocker from good working stock and finally found this little chap in Anglesey,have called him “Weaver” and he’s got all the right actions and temprement to be a first class worker so it’s down to be to put the time in and get him to be as good as he can be.

Always had working English Spaniels and worked them and entered a few trials and done not to bad,my last dog passed away 5 years ago and broke my heart and swore I couldn’t go though that sort of pain again but I missed the frosty mornings during the winter getting all the kit ready and meeting up at numerous shoots to go beating and picking up.

so hear we are 5 years later and the hard work begins and so looking forward to it.

The only things I kept from my last dog was the whistles so have started buying all the training gear again,I just want to add a note to anyone who has been in my position and some may understand what i’am about to say,another reason I got”Weaver” is I found myself without any kind of focus apart from work,yes I have a son and a grand daughter but that doesn’t help give you a main focus.

I found myself working 7 days a week and not for the money which is always a good thing but mainly because I didn’t have anything else to focus on and put my mind to,so after 5 years and working weekends for no apparent reason apart from occupying mind mind I took the step of getting another working dog but at 57 (today is my birthday) I decided to get a companion as well has a working dog as he will be with me every day at work but a focus on weekends apart from just working and to do again something that I thought I couldn’t have done after my last dog “Rio” past away.

So here he is little”Weaver” to say hello to all his new friends on Arbtalk

C430F66A-1913-46DA-96CA-1C3F5779C829.thumb.jpeg.c8c5984e624afdbf868a1beb4b1da6f7.jpeg

8E25178C-AF2A-47A3-8D53-BDD625E58B38.thumb.jpeg.8ea6882eba76f5e7fbf0c61ce0e89a7f.jpeg

Great looking dog. Up until three weeks ago I’ve always had 2 or more dogs as picking up/ beating dogs. Unfortunately I lost an old girl recently so am just down to one who is her daughter. She is perhaps the most useless dog I’ve ever owned, as she’s too timid to work (and not keen on guns) but a great and faithful companion nonetheless.

I used to work Golden Retrievers, a somewhat unusual breed for serious work in the Glen’s of Scotland. Prior to that I worked collie cross retrievers. Brilliantly clever dogs. I could even work them properly with long nets in total darkness. They surprised many a keeper too and if I wasn’t working on shoot days for my estate I was always asked to help on neighbouring estates. Good as deer dogs too (for those heart shot deer in thick young plantations) as they’d call/ bark when they found the dropped deer.

My advice is don’t over exercise when young. Also don’t start the dog on game too young. Sometimes you will find your dog will misunderstand you and do something different to what you’re trying to instil or teach. Sometimes that can be useful in a different situation. It takes a keen eye to recognise that and to be able to re-utilise that trait.

A dogs always pleased to see you even when you’re late home. More so than an ex wife![emoji3]

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yea . I use an Acme 211 1/2 . One long blast for stop .   Continuous bep,bep....bep,bep....bep,bep.... for return . She quarters pretty much on her own .  

3 hours ago, roboted said:

Pretty much same as. Three for return, two for attention with hand signal if necessary and one for stop/sit. As you Acme, 210, 210 1/2, 211 1/2. Mind when I've found the right whistle for the right dog events have usually unfolded and it's too late ?

Hi both..yes as said at the beginning of this thread we will all have our own preference to how and why we train our dogs and obviously the whistle return and stop are really the most important of all.i started using 2 whistles right from the get go and as standard beep,beep,beep,beep for return but when I had my first dog around 38 years ago I went by the book I had joe Irving and he suggested the refs whistle and taking the pea out for the sit and stop and I haven’t changed it and have done ok.

over the years I have had comments raised as why 2 whistles but when they see my dogs work it’s accepted as the way I do it.

As for the quartering yes most Spaniels quarter naturally but when out you know as well has me they need to stay within or just outside that 20yd each side so a single beep when the dog gets to that distance you want him to turn back on him her herself and so on,once they get it which is pretty quick there is no need to use the whistle.

Also with the stop whistle if you combine it with a bird taking off or a rabbit bolting it will soon know to sit and stop.

Please don’t take this as me trying to tell any of you guys or ladies anything about training gundogs as am sure quite a few of you have forgotten more then I know i’am just trying to explain the 2 whistle combination.

The only thing with the old metal refs whistle is when it’s real cold and frosty it sometimes sticks to your lips,best get a plastic one?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Great looking dog. Up until three weeks ago I’ve always had 2 or more dogs as picking up/ beating dogs. Unfortunately I lost an old girl recently so am just down to one who is her daughter. She is perhaps the most useless dog I’ve ever owned, as she’s too timid to work (and not keen on guns) but a great and faithful companion nonetheless.

I used to work Golden Retrievers, a somewhat unusual breed for serious work in the Glen’s of Scotland. Prior to that I worked collie cross retrievers. Brilliantly clever dogs. I could even work them properly with long nets in total darkness. They surprised many a keeper too and if I wasn’t working on shoot days for my estate I was always asked to help on neighbouring estates. Good as deer dogs too (for those heart shot deer in thick young plantations) as they’d call/ bark when they found the dropped deer.

My advice is don’t over exercise when young. Also don’t start the dog on game too young. Sometimes you will find your dog will misunderstand you and do something different to what you’re trying to instil or teach. Sometimes that can be useful in a different situation. It takes a keen eye to recognise that and to be able to re-utilise that trait.

A dogs always pleased to see you even when you’re late home. More so than an ex wife!emoji3.png

Thanks Baldbloke,all positive comments about training and the wife?are greatly received.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Hi both..yes as said at the beginning of this thread we will all have our own preference to how and why we train our dogs .

Absolutely Fiver. Each to their own.  As mine are generally working 4/5/6 days a week, mainly dogging back in all sorts of terrain, beating in big woods and picking up on wood/cattle ground and since my mobility is now quite limited and I require use of a vehicle(s) to get about, the way I work and use my dogs has changed drastically over the last four years. I really need them to use their own nouse and need to let them get on with it. Bearing in mind I still need to keep that control and manners on shoot days. They've stepped up admirably, but that goes to the basics way back and the confidence that they have in me and I in them. Had Gran and Mum not been there the "Pup" would definitely have been a problem dog. Very intelligent and quick as a heat seeking whippet !  But a lovely little soul and she does so want to please. It's, due to circumstances, taken a lot longer but as Granny drops off a pace and just toodles around she is now really coming to the fore. They are honest and behave on shoot days and carry out their tasks well, We all happy ?

This really does seem like a conversation we should all be having over a few pints ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, roboted said:

Absolutely Fiver. Each to their own.  As mine are generally working 4/5/6 days a week, mainly dogging back in all sorts of terrain, beating in big woods and picking up on wood/cattle ground and since my mobility is now quite limited and I require use of a vehicle(s) to get about, the way I work and use my dogs has changed drastically over the last four years. I really need them to use their own nouse and need to let them get on with it. Bearing in mind I still need to keep that control and manners on shoot days. They've stepped up admirably, but that goes to the basics way back and the confidence that they have in me and I in them. Had Gran and Mum not been there the "Pup" would definitely have been a problem dog. Very intelligent and quick as a heat seeking whippet !  But a lovely little soul and she does so want to please. It's, due to circumstances, taken a lot longer but as Granny drops off a pace and just toodles around she is now really coming to the fore. They are honest and behave on shoot days and carry out their tasks well, We all happy ?

This really does seem like a conversation we should all be having over a few pints ?

Yes absolutely dave and why not after all we don’t live the other side of the world from each other and this is part of what I wanted to happen is to bring other readers into it be it if they are making a living from anything to do with trees/either forestry or arborists side if things or who just like to join in and make a living from doing something else,most of the ladies and gentlemen on here are spot on and have good banter and conversation and hopefully this will just make a slight change from the norm as I know how much a lot of menbers on here are massive dog lovers and just wanted to bring a little bit of fresh chat and discussion into what we do,dogs for a lot of us are our best friends and our release especially if shooting or country sports are involved as well and i will hopefully combine the two when Weaver starts coming out with me more regular,he has been coming out since I have hadn’t him but has either stayed in the truck or because he is so titchy tiney at the moment that he is under your feet without knowing he is there and I have been climbing last few days so but difficult.

when he is up to the standard I want him to be at I will be planning on hopefully getting out to some invites on shoots all over the country and meet up wit fellow Arbs and or gundog guys and or ladies?

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 3

Morning Lads and Lady’s and hope all good with everyone,glad the rain has stopped for now and we getting some frosty days,anything better then all that rain and am sure it’s affected us all in one way or another and my heart goes out to the people who’s property’s are still affected by the floods,just cause it’s not in the news at the moment it doesn’t mean it’s all been cleared as it will affect poeples lives for weeks if not months to come.

Anyway just a quick up date on “Weaver” he is doing really well and coming on and growing fast,have got him on Skinners field & Trial Puppy food at mo and with Cod Liver Oil added which he loves as a lot of dogs don’t and chopped chicken every 3rd day he’s muscle mas is starting to show.

have got him to sit and stay during play seasons so he doesn’t really know that it’s the start of his basic trianing,have introduced the ref whistle when making him sit and stay.

Because it is a totally different sound then what he has been used to he wasn’t quite sure but after a little reassurance and a few bits of trip stick he got it,he is a very bright little dog and really pleased with him.

i take my chip and wood to separate places and there is always farm animals,sheep,goats,pigs,chickens etc so all these noises and smells are all part of him growing up and getting use to different environments.

Not any photographs of him out side at mo as I need to take my iPad so when I can I will start taking some more photos.

here are a couple of him this morning,he already knows when we are going as he sits on the bottom of the stairs and waits.

Taken On Thursday November 21st 2019 age 14 Weeks

C1B76FAE-AB51-42BC-B046-A844ED57CEAC.thumb.jpeg.9301a067ddca023ea1694b5ab49344a0.jpeg

D018332E-9027-4E5C-BB93-79AA6FEB246C.thumb.jpeg.4b940781eda156b53ed395047d87b278.jpeg

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Morning Lads and Lady’s and hope all good with everyone,glad the rain has stopped for now and we getting some frosty days,anything better then all that rain and am sure it’s affected us all in one way or another and my heart goes out to the people who’s property’s are still affected by the floods,just cause it’s not in the news at the moment it doesn’t mean it’s all been cleared as it will affect poeples lives for weeks if not months to come.

Anyway just a quick up date on “Weaver” he is doing really well and coming on and growing fast,have got him on Skinners field & Trial Puppy food at mo and with Cod Liver Oil added which he loves as a lot of dogs don’t and chopped chicken every 3rd day he’s muscle mas is starting to show.

have got him to sit and stay during play seasons so he doesn’t really know that it’s the start of his basic trianing,have introduced the ref whistle when making him sit and stay.

Because it is a totally different sound then what he has been used to he wasn’t quite sure but after a little reassurance and a few bits of trip stick he got it,he is a very bright little dog and really pleased with him.

i take my chip and wood to separate places and there is always farm animals,sheep,goats,pigs,chickens etc so all these noises and smells are all part of him growing up and getting use to different environments.

Not any photographs of him out side at mo as I need to take my iPad so when I can I will start taking some more photos.

here are a couple of him this morning,he already knows when we are going as he sits on the bottom of the stairs and waits.

Taken On Thursday November 21st 2019 age 14 Weeks

C1B76FAE-AB51-42BC-B046-A844ED57CEAC.thumb.jpeg.9301a067ddca023ea1694b5ab49344a0.jpeg

D018332E-9027-4E5C-BB93-79AA6FEB246C.thumb.jpeg.4b940781eda156b53ed395047d87b278.jpeg

Wow how fast is he growing,he looks great and loves his toy:thumbup:

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

Wow how fast is he growing,he looks great and loves his toy:thumbup:

Hi Gary yes he is growing fast as they do,he does love his toys he has 2 pheasants and a duck but he’s not a ripper apart type dog just a bit of a chew.

There his bit of comfort but more over he runs a round and picks them up and gives them over readally no problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Hi Gary yes he is growing fast as they do,he does love his toys he has 2 pheasants and a duck but he’s not a ripper apart type dog just a bit of a chew.

There his bit of comfort but more over he runs a round and picks them up and gives them over readally no problem.

Sounds like he,s gonna be a natural

4 hours ago, gary112 said:

Sounds like he,s gonna be a natural

He his and this no disrespect to my other dogs who I loved dearly and were fab “Weaver” is probably the smartest pup I have ever had,his breeding says he should be a very good or above average working dog(his farther is field trial champion cocker  Mallowdale Xfactor so if he doesn’t make the grade it won’t be his fault.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 1