What logs are a pain in the rear?

Mr. Bish

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£50 per day x 5 £250

x4 weeks - £1000

£12k per year would pay for a big processor in 2 - 3 years, but produce 50 times what a man with an axe will.

For people who do a lot of firewood, manpower will always cost way more than machines...

I see your logic. Only flaw with it is that I / we never spend a full day there, we just go there when jobs are thin on the ground, we finish early or the weather is too bad to be working on trees.

So therefore, If I had a £38K splitter. I would be loosing so much more in wasted groundy time :-)

Personally I love going to my woodshed, it's next door to my house and wifey can't nag me ther.

I split wood by hand for years,still do a little just to maintain some strength and flexability.

Most of the oaks,hickory, ash split rather easily especially at about 10 degrees F.The stuff is frozen and just falls apart.The exception is pin oak,a zillion limbs thusly knots to go with it.My 27 ton splitter makes short work of them.

Undoubtedly the worst is American elm.Although it's nearly extinct you still find some.That stuff is the stingiest stuff in the world.It doesn't split,it tears into.

I have a woodline 16 tonner PTO driven, with a supply of rings to hand you can easily fill a bulk / dumpy bag every 20 mins, i sell this for £35 so this machine easily pays for itself.

In reality you have to cut up cord wood which slows you down so my new philosophy is, if its sitting off the ground log it at the job and to hell with the sawdust.

I have a woodline 16 tonner PTO driven, with a supply of rings to hand you can easily fill a bulk / dumpy bag every 20 mins, i sell this for £35 so this machine easily pays for itself.

In reality you have to cut up cord wood which slows you down so my new philosophy is, if its sitting off the ground log it at the job and to hell with the sawdust.

A dumpy bag is about 1 cubic metre isn't it? I reckon you could get more than £35 for that. I sell 2 cubic metre loads for £90.