Makita DCS 5121 ignition coil compatability

cloggy

After a long while out with a bad back [in the end my chiropractor hit it, which worked....] I'm trying to replace the ignition coil. Perusing a USA website it says -206 is no longer sold, hardly surprising since there appear to have been a rash of failures. I purchased what turned out to be -204 which sparked with gusto but which wouldn't fire the engine.  Dolmar PS510 the nearest Dolmar equivalent uses -205.Has anyone replaced 206 successfully with 205?

I’ve just sent you a reply to your pm

but there’s so many variants too this flywheel and coil combination and most wont work without the other as @billpierce knows 

there’s been updates to part numbers in various years and before Makita and Dolmar 

aligned there models  there are numerous options

for instance dcs 500 5000 5001 5020 5121 5030 5031 and ps 500 510 5000 5100 5105 and some had easy starter some had normal start so two different coil again 

now Dolmar and Makita have got the EA and PS models the same specs only changed the colour teal and red 

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted the correct 206 coil which ran the engine sort of. I'd taken apart and cleaned and blown through the carb block and  the Low jet setting was  then completely off. I bought the double D tool  and after some adjustment it now runs fine. It might even start easily, which it hasn't been doing for a couple of years. My 5121 originally came with easy start, but it broke within weeks. When I got the saw back it said 5121 on the starter, but it didn't have easy start anymore, and it hasn't been easy to start since.

• Like 1

These coil flywheel changes are a pain. It is usual to have the magnets meeting the coil at pretty much TDC but had a Stihl blower once where it was around 180 degrees out and with the wrong coil, you go some good backfires!

Get the incorrect combination and the engine just won't work as it should, may cause possible engine damage or simply won't start.

I set the ignition timing manually on my 066 once, got it completely wrong and by the noise the engine made when I started it, swear it would have grenaded if I gave it any revs:scared1:

Yes it seems totally dumb that the Dolmar equivalent [510 I think] has a different coil, unless that saw is closed port unlike my bargan basement Makita. My builders merchant have the  current 43cc model on offer at under £230 including vat.. Much as  I like a deal I no longer need it since mine is finally starting easily, as long as I follow the drill.