Air Tools

donnk

So having a look at the nifty air spade on the other thread and killing 2 birds with one stone. 

Fencing nailer, I use the dewalt electric whose only drawback is the weight. The tennis elbow hates it.

I was looking at the flexvolt compressor and 1st fix nailer as its not quite half the weight of the electric gun while still being fully portable and no mains BUT it wont be man anough for the air spade.  As the vehicle is allways on-site is there a vehicle mounted compressor that could be used instead to save lugging round a petrol one ?

You dont need anything like as much CFM as you'd get from a road tow compressor or a JCB one. Air spade in this thread refers to the Lidl gadget, not the thing for blasting soil away from roots.

You only real options are running a 1.5HP compressor off a genny, or a petrol compressor. Nothing else will give you the CFM required.

Ok I see what your on about now. Seem a canny little tool. Yes jcb2cx or even a towable one would be well over powered. Having to use the 90ltr or 100-150ltr air compressor is a bit of a pain as its ran by 240vlt. Could you get some sort of leisure battery wired to the vehicle so you have a mains to run it off.? Could cost up to £400 to have that done though I got one fitted to a veto van as  camping van to run lights and stuff off but don't know how long it would last. But its wired uptown the alternator. 

22 minutes ago, L33 DA17ON said:

Ok I see what your on about now. Seem a canny little tool. Yes jcb2cx or even a towable one would be well over powered. Having to use the 90ltr or 100-150ltr air compressor is a bit of a pain as its ran by 240vlt. Could you get some sort of leisure battery wired to the vehicle so you have a mains to run it off.? Could cost up to £400 to have that done though I got one fitted to a veto van as  camping van to run lights and stuff off but don't know how long it would last. But its wired uptown the alternator. 

That would be hopelessley inneficient. If indeed it could even start an electric compressor- they take a big surge to get going. Hence why a basic 6HP/3KVA genny will only run a 1.5HP compressor.

I bought a petrol compressor for around £300+VAT off eBay, it does the job fine. Used it yesterday. It's the only option for this sort of thing really. Can't use normal extension leads with air compressors due to voltage drop either.

7 minutes ago, doobin said:

That would be hopelessley inneficient. If indeed it could even start an electric compressor- they take a big surge to get going. Hence why a basic 6HP/3KVA genny will only run a 1.5HP compressor.

I bought a petrol compressor for around £300+VAT off eBay, it does the job fine. Used it yesterday. It's the only option for this sort of thing really. Can't use normal extension leads with air compressors due to voltage drop either.

There must be some way of fitting one to run from a van or vehicle. What do all them mobile tyer fitters use in there Van's I'm sure the don't start a generator when blowing the tyres up? And to run the mechanics that pop the beeds. 

54 minutes ago, L33 DA17ON said:

There must be some way of fitting one to run from a van or vehicle. What do all them mobile tyer fitters use in there Van's I'm sure the don't start a generator when blowing the tyres up? And to run the mechanics that pop the beeds. 

Yes you can run a small pto compressor off the engine, you sometimes see it on mobile workshop/utility type vans (Transit).

A little Honda engine would be cheaper to run though, and you wouldn't be putting the wear on the van.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doobin said:

If indeed it could even start an electric compressor- they take a big surge to get going. Hence why a basic 6HP/3KVA genny will only run a 1.5HP compressor.

Yes my 4kVA welding genset will only start my 2hp compressor if the air reservoir is empty.

Do the engine run air brake compressors put out enough air?