the best water proof arborist jacket to date

markrufrider

On 20/11/2019 at 22:20, Silverhooker said:

20 year old Barbour bedale jacket, gets wiped with a sponge and re waxed every year. Totally knackered has never really kept me dry but it still has a few years left in it and I’ll replace with something army surplus as the surplus trousers are great.

No offence but that sounds like the shittest jacket ever!

If you have to clean it and wax it once a year and it's totally knackered and has never kept you dry then why the fck do you still own it, never mind dragging it's sorry arse life out for another few years for? Do yourself a favour and buy a new jacket. It's that or go to work stocked with spare dry cloths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I own a wax Barbour they have there good points. Like keep you warm when its snowing... but most modern jackets are like that now. I tent to wear mine on the farm. If it gets snagged on on a fence or out like that I'm not that bothered. I've gone to the trouble of waxing it my self 

On 20/11/2019 at 22:20, Silverhooker said:

20 year old Barbour bedale jacket, gets wiped with a sponge and re waxed every year. Totally knackered has never really kept me dry but it still has a few years left in it and I’ll replace with something army surplus as the surplus trousers are great.

I used the Barbour wax ones not realy a fan as you have to keep the was warm then apply it. I like the g1000 wax like a bar of soap just rub it on and use the wires hair dryer to melt it in. 

I put mine in the bottom oven of the Aga for an hour then melt the wax on the stove top, takes about 45 minutes to do the whole thing. Mine has loads of repairs that I've done and keeps me warm and a wee bit damp at worst. Way better than any nylon jacket i've ever used, where you can be very hot and wet or very cold and wet.

• Like 1

I have the cut and climb which does me for most conditions. If it's pouring down from the get go and is forecast to be like that all day I'll wear a fisherman's oiler type coat. My only (personal) negative on the cut and climb is that it doesn't have a hood, not that I would necessarily wear it up but they do tend to stop rain going down your neck [emoji4]. The arbortec smock is the biggest waste of my money to date. It has the waterproof qualities of a sponge

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ridgeline smock is what I’ve got and it’s pretty good- it’s not from my world at all but the hunting and shooting brigade know how to make good outdoor clothing ! Essentially I find the only policy that works is having dry cloths to put on - if it’s totally waterproof it’s usually bulky or not breathable and if it is it’ll be too pricey and fragile for the work environment !

• Like 1