the best water proof arborist jacket to date

markrufrider

Got a cut and climb and was good until I washed it and then it just started to let the water in.

Got a SIP Protection KEIU Rain Jacket 3 years ago which has never been in the wash and still keeps the rain out. Have also got the KEIU rain trousers which are also really good.

Funny with the cut and climb jacket that some people say it's bomb proof and will keep you dry while others say it lets the water in and not worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, youngsbury said:

British army mtp light weight gortex jacket £30 ebay been really good value light weight fairly tight fitting ! could you not poss wear an old thin top over to prevent friction ?.

Bought 2 of them the best ones is in desert camo a lot heavier material but they were advertised as gortex but not some other waterproof material. 

Have just bought a Hoggs of Fife struther smock for when it turns a bit colder 

On 03/11/2019 at 17:47, treevolution said:

Got a cut and climb and was good until I washed it and then it just started to let the water in.

Got a SIP Protection KEIU Rain Jacket 3 years ago which has never been in the wash and still keeps the rain out. Have also got the KEIU rain trousers which are also really good.

Funny with the cut and climb jacket that some people say it's bomb proof and will keep you dry while others say it lets the water in and not worth the money.

I am guessing it was pretty dirty and you washed it above 30C?

higher temps turn the jacket into a teabag.  The high temp melts the waterproof coating within the fibre.

my first jacket was covered in crap one day and I hosed it down in the shower after work.  Leaked like mad after that.

the second jacket I wash on cold and it still it waterproof after 4 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

I am guessing it was pretty dirty and you washed it above 30C?

higher temps turn the jacket into a teabag.  The high temp melts the waterproof coating within the fibre.

my first jacket was covered in crap one day and I hosed it down in the shower after work.  Leaked like mad after that.

the second jacket I wash on cold and it still it waterproof after 4 years.

That and also I have since learn that you need to also wash the washing machine out as an washing detergent left in the machine will also affect the waterproofing. 

• Like 2

I spent years working in retail selling waterproof coats and outdoor gear. There are a few rules to abide by when it comes to cleaning and reproofing garments. As mentioned, make sure you wash it on a cool setting, with the machine cleaned beforehand of all “normal” detergent. Pure soap, lux flakes etc are fine, but never use the stuff you clean your regular clothes with. Nikwax, Grangers and others all do specific products for these type of garments. Some are wash in, some are spray on. If you have a jacket or trousers with a drop lining inside, it’s important not to use the wash in reproofer. It’ll waterproof the lining as well, which you don’t want! You need to use the spray on type for these. If you have just a shell type garment the wash in one is best. One of the other major things to remember is the application of heat to help make the DWR (durable water repellency) return. This is the beading effect you see when the water just runs off. It doesn’t last unfortunately, and the jacket or trousers will hold the water on the outer fabric. This makes them cold, and heavy, but a blast in the tumble dryer on a cool heat will help restore it. 

• Like 6