petrol powered splitters

peatff

Anybody got one they'd recommend I'm looking for the cheapest I can use practically for splitting rough stuff with plenty of knots in it. I have a little electric one but it is pathetic after using the one driven by my friend's tractor. I'm not expecting that kind of performance but I would like to get something stronger than mine. I've looked at the Venoms but they are a bit more than I want to spend. I had looked at building one but after pricing the bits up and adding in the cost of the metal needed I was still looking at the thick end of £1000. Just looking for suggestions or tell me not to be so tight I won't be offended :D

Rough stuff with plenty of knots sounds like you need to up your budget probably. I changed to the Rock Venom 22 ton road tow splitter after running a Brown's tractor mounted one for 20 years. The Rock splitter is absolutely fantastic in my opinion, and it out performs to Brown's one by a big margin.

I would imagine that the Rock 12 ton V series petrol powered splitter is pretty good, and represents good value.

40 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Rough stuff with plenty of knots sounds like you need to up your budget probably. I changed to the Rock Venom 22 ton road tow splitter after running a Brown's tractor mounted one for 20 years. The Rock splitter is absolutely fantastic in my opinion, and it out performs to Brown's one by a big margin.

I would imagine that the Rock 12 ton V series petrol powered splitter is pretty good, and represents good value.

Agreed , Rock Venom represents decent value for money. Ok some of welds are not pretty to say least but they do the job. I’ve the 35ton model and it’s pulled out as and when required with zero  tlc in between and up to now after 4 years it’s never missed a beat. 

On 27/10/2019 at 12:49, Shaff said:

I’ve got the 12 ton rock splitter with the Briggs engine and it’s ace. Modded the 2 handle faf controls to a single lever. Never had any problems and it’s chogged through a fair bit of timber

How heavy is it to move around? I'd like to be able to move one around my garden some of which is on a slope.  I currently lug a JB300 (chipper) around so as long as it's no harder than that, I should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Balfor petrol powered A9 Vario, which i would recommend.

Great for dealing with arbwaste, multi position means big rings can be broken up on the deck.

Had this for several years and not been many knotty chunks it hasn't gone through !!