Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Interesting,
The gentleman in the video also posted about 8 pin sprockets being slower than 7 pin.emoji848.png
But as for a stock 461 out cutting a stock 661. Hmmm.
I own both. Can't see it.
Do you have any videos of your own saws?

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Interesting,
The gentleman in the video also posted about 8 pin sprockets being slower than 7 pin.emoji848.png

The video features a stock 661 vs a ported 461 with the 461 a whisker quicker ... Stock vs Stock ... 661ftw !

Interesting,
The gentleman in the video also posted about 8 pin sprockets being slower than 7 pin.[emoji848]

That’s why most of these videos are utter wank and nothing at all unless the saws being tested are using the same bar and chain and even then an operator who knows the power bands on the saw can use it to the advantage of cutting faster.
Take a saw time it doing 10 cuts then mod it and time it doing another 10 cuts with the exact same bar and chain is the only way to prove the gains.
  • Like 2

I only run an 8 pin on my spud ported 346 with a full chiz and a 15" bar . Also  run an 8 pin on my ported 560 with an 18" bar . All the bigger ported saws with longer bars run the standard 7 pin making best use of the torque .

• Like 1

That’s why most of these videos are utter wank and nothing at all unless the saws being tested are using the same bar and chain and even then an operator who knows the power bands on the saw can use it to the advantage of cutting faster.
Take a saw time it doing 10 cuts then mod it and time it doing another 10 cuts with the exact same bar and chain is the only way to prove the gains.

The thing which gets me, is any Saw will run a short bar fast.
When you get 30"+ bars it gets interesting.
Pretty sure 16" bar on a 261,461,661 with a 7 pin sprocket is going to be very similar.
  • Like 1

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

The thing which gets me, is any Saw will run a short bar fast.
When you get 30"+ bars it gets interesting.
Pretty sure 16" bar on a 261,461,661 with a 7 pin sprocket is going to be very similar.

With the extra wizz from a ported saw you can benefit running an 8 pin to get faster chain speed on shorter bars though .  When the bars get longer I find its better to use the standard 7 pin so you can lean on it a bit and use the torque .

• Like 1

With the extra wizz from a ported saw you can benefit running an 8 pin to get faster chain speed on shorter bars though .  When the bars get longer I find its better to use the standard 7 pin so you can lean on it a bit and use the torque .

This has been my experience too.
Did try the 661 with a 20" bar and 8 pin, [emoji13][emoji106]
  • Like 1

Most saws will be tuned between 13-15Krpm so to hold 14k in the cut, you would either be holding the saw up in the cut, shifting very little chip on a very narrow kerf or have something like a true custom hot saw powered by some sort of cart or bike engine etc capable of hitting high revs and having so much power that the drag of cutting has negligible effect on chain speed.

• Like 1

Exactly, from my experience, ported saws have more torque not higher rpm.
Great for running longer bars with smaller powerheads.
Or for dropping the gauges and cutting quicker on short bars.
[emoji106]
Coincidentally the warranty on my 880 is well over...
[emoji848]
What would you suggest for an 880 milling saw mod?
[emoji106]