Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

3 hours ago, wyk said:

Reminds me of a conversation I had a while back when I was lubricating the clutch bearing on a 288xp.

Estate Owner: 'What is that?'

Me: 'A grease gun. I'm lubricating the bearings and the bar tip'

Owner: 'We have to lubricate these things?'

I have never lubricated either of those, on my 288 or any other saw. Zero issues with clutch bearings or bar tips (well maybe the odd bar tip over 25 years)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have never lubricated either of those, on my 288 or any other saw. Zero issues with clutch bearings or bar tips (well maybe the odd bar tip over 25 years)

Funny you should say that. I was greasing the 288 because, when I had it apart, the bearings were obviously never lubricated and very worn. I replaced them and greased them. Much smoother.

My usual conversation on 3-5 year old saws in for porting or service....

Me - I think your local service guy isn't doing to much to your saw from what I can see - reckon you should bin him.

Owner - Ah, I don't think I have had it serviced it since new

Me - So, this four year old saw has never been serviced

Owner - No, I don't believe so

Me - :001_rolleyes::cursing::w00t::011:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spudulike said:

My usual conversation on 3-5 year old saws in for porting or service....

Me - I think your local service guy isn't doing to much to your saw from what I can see - reckon you should bin him.

Owner - Ah, I don't think I have had it serviced it since new

Me - So, this four year old saw has never been serviced

Owner - No, I don't believe so

Me - :001_rolleyes::cursing::w00t::011:

Steve , I was in our local dealers the other day and a bloke brought a strimmer in with him . He said it revs up but the blade won't go round . I could not help  my self and butted in asking if he had ever greased the bevel gears . He said whats that ? .........

• Haha 2

A service generally depends on the state of the saw and the customers expectations. I don't tend to do a new plug, clean the air filter and adjust the carb a little for £70 type of service. Most of mine are a bit more....covers off, damn good clean, carb stripped and cleaned, air filter cleaned, clutch and drum stripped and checked, brake mechanism cleaned and checked, recoil cleaned and checked plus a load of other stuff including a few possible issues reported by the customer - Joe Newton gets a liberal application of Britney Perfume as he likes it. Once you have seen a load of kit across your bench, you instinctively see issues whilst stripping and cleaning the machine and also know machines weak areas from past experience.

You can generally immediately see if the owner has looked after the saw plus the age of it  to gauge how deep a service needs to be - it becomes an instinct or second nature after doing a few hundred machines.

Some find it difficult to understand but it isn't the flash workshop, the amount of high tech, the amount of money charged or the companies ethical procedure or corporate statement that gives you good service, it is the ability of that guy who has your bit of kit in in their hands to know instinctively what your machine needs within seconds of handling it, pulling it over and giving it a look over.

As the fella said last night when I ported his MS150 and tested it with him watching, "I was trying to not be impressed but OMG, was that really Hornbeam"?

• Like 5

Sounds thorough.

I reckon for a homeowner sort of thing would hit the spot.

I have never known a pro saw user have that done, basic maintenance, filters, carbs, splines, blowing out gunk with an airline, gets done in house.

Then if something is broke it gets fixed by the experts (you and your brethren)

ie. if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Most of us have reserve saws for every size.

Just my experience, I’m sure yours differs.

Porting is a different kettle of fish.

I am coming over soonish, want to pick up another 2511 and get it done straight away if you’re up for it.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

Winter is good for me time wise for any work.

The bit about if it isn't broke - had this out with a tool maker once and my reply.....so you never change the engine oil in your car then??? A bit of maintenance can actually can save a lot of money, I have had to scrap saws through a cheap clutch bearing not being changed when it should and the crank then wore and the saws were scrapped as the owners didn't see the issue as an issue.