Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

1 hour ago, adw said:

Just what we need, somebody using a top handle saw for ground work, just as the HSE said would happen, and fuel for them to ban it.

Are you really looking at the same footage ? I see an American saw builder testing his machine - do you really need to climb at tree to test a saw?

Do you feel threatened by ported saws ? You seem to be overly negative about them with very little experience 

• Like 2

I always find the comments on "ported" saws interesting...those who love them i.e. have them and work them and those who know just enough to know not a whole lot about them and don't work them. 

It was touched on earlier how it all came about, get a lighter smaller saw to cut like a bigger heavier one so in the beginning it was about power not really "speed" now the lines have been, in my very humble view, blurred where folk think a ported saw is the fastest saw cutting a "cookie" and the aim of a small easy to use all day on the side of a hill has almost been forgotten by all but those of us who really cut all day all week for a living. I run 6 fully ported saws and another 6 just MM'd and the fully ported all built by guys who cut for a living themselves. As for how long they last, my first 372 XPW lasted 5 yrs not bad for a saw running far beyond it's factory specs ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, outinthewood said:

I always find the comments on "ported" saws interesting...those who love them i.e. have them and work them and those who know just enough to know not a whole lot about them and don't work them. 

It was touched on earlier how it all came about, get a lighter smaller saw to cut like a bigger heavier one so in the beginning it was about power not really "speed" now the lines have been, in my very humble view, blurred where folk think a ported saw is the fastest saw cutting a "cookie" and the aim of a small easy to use all day on the side of a hill has almost been forgotten by all but those of us who really cut all day all week for a living. I run 6 fully ported saws and another 6 just MM'd and the fully ported all built by guys who cut for a living themselves. As for how long they last, my first 372 XPW lasted 5 yrs not bad for a saw running far beyond it's factory specs ?

If the modifications are done properly the Saw will run cooler and the longevity will be satisfactory ...  this assumes proper maintenance habits by the operator and top-tier fuel/mix oil ... STIHL claims their pro saws last 2000 hrs ; in reality as long as parts are available and a knowledgeable individual can rebuild it (whether the operator himself or a paid tech) they should last a lifetime for a firewood cutter and many years for a guy who makes a living felling ... 375xpw you say - Where did you manage to find one of those gems ?  What finally “went” after 5 yrs ?

Edited by Yngwie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Have you still got that Simonized 372xp? That was the angriest 372 I have ever tried. Wish I still had the video.

I know the forums are a great place to argue, but I'm not sure there's much to debate here. In the last few years I have worked in Europe I have seen ported saws really begin to take hold. In my opinion, you either run them or not. Hell, I even have an 044 that isn't ported and a 288 that's only mildly warmed over. It takes all kinds.

• Like 1

My take is this . All people like Spud are doing is maximizing the design intent .  If production tolerances and manufacturing costs were of no importance then I recon all saws would come out of the factory " ported " . They are not dangerous .  They just work more efficiently .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Yes, I don't tend to offer opinions if I've no experience on the subject. 

I'm not arguing that ported saw has higher vibes, just against the idea that the process can somehow bring the vibrations down. 

You know when the washing machine starts a spin cycle , it gets to about half revs and is wobbling and banging about  coz the drum is out of balance , then the revs increase and everything smooths out . I think its kinda like that with a well maintained ported saw . It does not have to work so hard to get to max revs ( not above spec as Spud has pointed out )  so seems smoother . 

Edited by Stubby

As much power vs as little weight.
That's the crux.
If I could use a 261 with a 25/30" bar, I would.
Rather than lug a 461/661.
Anyway, petrol saws will be obsolete by 2040.
Electric saws will have taken over before then too.
Used by robots....
Ported saws will go the same way as the steam engine.
So get your saws sent to spud ASAP!
[emoji849][emoji6][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Haha 2