TW160? Opinions please...

Tom Mabbutt

Hi all,

Going to be investing in a TW160ph very soon (most probably). Will give it a demo first, of course. Just wanted to hear peoples up to date opinions on the machine as well. There was a bit of discussion a couple of years ago on here, consensus seemed positive. A couple of specific questions; does it throw chip far enough to fill a transit? I'm also unsure about the chassis, it's not A framed, but it has a single bar to the hitch mechanism, there doesn't seem a straight forward way of locking to the truck towbar, hitch lock maybe? But a previous thread talked about how it was hard to find a good hitch lock for the coupling mechanism. Perhaps there is something farther back on or near the axel - maybe a Kryptonite type cable to be run from here to the towbar? Just to stop the opportunist obviously. A dedicated tea leaf could get through that in no time, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Had mine 2.5yrs. Still very happy with it. Fills my transit no problem. I've not done anything to the tow hitch, it came with a little brass barrel lock that can lock it in the tow bar. I think tw are offering a 5yr warranty at present which would be very attractive.

All the best with it, j.

Definitely look at the GreenMech Arborist 130... For much the same price you can have the following extra....

Bonnet, LED Lights, Brakes, Hand brake, 6" x 9" Infeed, Adjustable Height A Frame & Locking Hitch.

We have an 2017 Arborist 150p in stock with 340 hours on. It is fundamentally the same as an Arborist 130 but fitted with a 37 EFI Vanguard. Still under 750kg.

£8,750 ex vat. UK delivery included, manufacturers warranty until July 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GA Groundcare said:

Definitely look at the GreenMech Arborist 130... For much the same price you can have the following extra....

Bonnet, LED Lights, Brakes, Hand brake, 6" x 9" Infeed, Adjustable Height A Frame & Locking Hitch.

We have an 2017 Arborist 150p in stock with 340 hours on. It is fundamentally the same as an Arborist 130 but fitted with a 37 EFI Vanguard. Still under 750kg.

£8,750 ex vat. UK delivery included, manufacturers warranty until July 2020.

Wasnt someone on here saying that engine has been giving problems?

• Like 1

It’s a bit far fetched to say it’s a problematic engine. We have sold many chippers with that 37hp EFI engine fitted. It’s the same engine Forst fit in the ST6P as well as other manufacturers fit in other plant / Groundcare machinery. 

We supplied the machine to the operator who picked it up from our premises and took it to France. He had a issue with the running of it, it has been into the Briggs engine dealer a couple of times and the underlying issue not resolved. 

No matter what brand of chipper you buy, the engine is covered by the manufacture of the engine and their own engine dealers. Thankfully engine warranty is usually very few and far between. Its the first engine issue in the 150p we have known as a supplying chipper dealer. Typically it’s in another country and the engine dealers in France seem a little slow on the latest engine models. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

It’s a bit far fetched to say it’s a problematic engine. We have sold many chippers with that 37hp EFI engine fitted. It’s the same engine Forst fit in the ST6P as well as other manufacturers fit in other plant / Groundcare machinery. 

We supplied the machine to the operator who picked it up from our premises and took it to France. He had a issue with the running of it, it has been into the Briggs engine dealer a couple of times and the underlying issue not resolved. 

No matter what brand of chipper you buy, the engine is covered by the manufacture of the engine and their own engine dealers. Thankfully engine warranty is usually very few and far between. Its the first engine issue in the 150p we have known as a supplying chipper dealer. Typically it’s in another country and the engine dealers in France seem a little slow on the latest engine models. 

So has that problem been resolved and what was it?

3 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Wasnt someone on here saying that engine has been giving problems?

'My' engine, not 'every' engine.

I'm still without a chipper since the dealer made matters worse and now having to use a CS100 for jobs I priced for a 6", though I'm hiring a new Bugnot roadtow for a council job.

I'll report back on that one later.

It would be the same story if I had bought a TW or Först efi chipper.

The engines have a separate guarrantee to that of the chipper.

My problems arise from efi not having sufficient dealer support in France.

Dealers are yet to be motivated into getting the training or specific software.

Stuart

Edited by Ty Korrigan
  • Like 3

Really rate my 160, apart from two things.

The shitty cheapo pressed ALKO hitch, which you can’t buy a hitchlock to fit (I was the one who bought up the problem on here).

Brass barrel lock would stop a 5-second opportunist and that’s it.

Chain it is for now.

I’ve also had a problem with the battery not charging when in use, so I charge it in the workshop.

Apparently an easy fix under warranty which Greenplant have offered to do but I haven’t had time run it down to them yet.

Other than those minor gripes it’s great.

A few improvements over the 125, all of them well thought out, faster and more powerful, and I loved my 125 (until the dids stole it).