Ford County tractor

7 minutes ago, Lfservices said:

Hi all

Hope your having a good weekend. 

I'm toying with the idea of possibly buying a Ford County for forestry work.

What are people's thoughts?? 

TIA

In there day a great tractor . can you get the guarding done ?

What model country is that?

looks like 974 or 1174.

i ran a highlander 764 for maybe 5 years in the 90s. On decent ground you could average 35 ton per day on clearfell (cut motor manualy) maybe 25ton on thinnings . At the time that gave a decent profit, fuel was around a £7 for 25 liter per day and county parts  we’re readily available, new and second hand when needed.

i,am not sure if that sort of production would leave a decent income nowadays and running costs would definately be much higher.

Also, work environment was pretty crude by today’s standards and fumes from glazed Ford engine couldn’t have been too healthy.

much as I love Country’s, they  had poor ground clearance and needed wheel chains to be any good in forest .

id say ValmetValtra units would do as much work with more comfort for the operator.

That looks an interesting unit and  being a Country might hold its value, I suppose it depends what rates you can secure for what it can do for you .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, s o c said:

What model country is that?

looks like 974 or 1174.

i ran a highlander 764 for maybe 5 years in the 90s. On decent ground you could average 35 ton per day on clearfell (cut motor manualy) maybe 25ton on thinnings . At the time that gave a decent profit, fuel was around a £7 for 25 liter per day and county parts  we’re readily available, new and second hand when needed.

i,am not sure if that sort of production would leave a decent income nowadays and running costs would definately be much higher.

Also, work environment was pretty crude by today’s standards and fumes from glazed Ford engine couldn’t have been too healthy.

much as I love Country’s, they  had poor ground clearance and needed wheel chains to be any good in forest .

id say ValmetValtra units would do as much work with more comfort for the operator.

That looks an interesting unit and  being a Country might hold its value, I suppose it depends what rates you can secure for what it can do for you .

Pretty much spot on with those points.

On good ground with a long extraction I would fill a couple of artic flat trailers a day where a purpose built forwarder would struggle with the distance.  Poor ground and high stumps were a different matter. The big advantage was not having low loader costs between sites which meant  small jobs were economic.

I'd be interested in what money was being asked for the one posted, it looks like it has been tarted up for sale.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Pretty much spot on with those points.

On good ground with a long extraction I would fill a couple of artic flat trailers a day where a purpose built forwarder would struggle with the distance.  Poor ground and high stumps were a different matter. The big advantage was not having low loader costs between sites which meant  small jobs were economic.

I'd be interested in what money was being asked for the one posted, it looks like it has been tarted up for sale.

Wants £9500