Cutting big table legs

gobbypunk

So I am making another big table and having the same issue I always have when cutting say 6x6 oak legs flat on both ends I don’t have a saw big enough and as far as I can find out neither does any woodshop near me ,cutting with a hand saw is a F###ing nightmare, cutting half way and turning it over is never that good how do you all manage ,looking forward to hearing your replys

Cheers Mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

So I am making another big table and having the same issue I always have when cutting say 6x6 oak legs flat on both ends I don’t have a saw big enough and as far as I can find out neither does any woodshop near me ,cutting with a hand saw is a F###ing nightmare, cutting half way and turning it over is never that good how do you all manage ,looking forward to hearing your replys

Cheers Mark 

Firewood processor.  Our Jappa 700 does a nice job of this.  Or you can get a handheld circular saw with a 16 inch blade - that would do it pretty well.  If you are near south east Wales we could help.

• Like 1

What handsaw do you use Mark? I have found you can get within a mm if it's nice and sharp.

Also used the crosscut circular saw without the guard and flipping it. Only works well if the piece is nicely machined from the planner though. 

Rough cut to length and router jig would work well. If you have a Woodrat no need for a jig

4 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Cheers Mark 

As Rough Mentioned a Chainsaw and a Mini-Mill worked for me in the past. Its a few minuted in ion the vid. Bandsaws can knock out 6" posts which Ive done for my Daughters bed, maybe there is someone local to you on here that would help out? 

13 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

As Rough Mentioned a Chainsaw and a Mini-Mill worked for me in the past. Its a few minuted in ion the vid. Bandsaws can knock out 6" posts which Ive done for my Daughters bed, maybe there is someone local to you on here that would help out? 

Is that you in the vid Trig ?

gobby, do you know of anyone in your local area who has a chopsaw that has a 4" deep cut?

i have the DW708 and used that on my 6" table legs for the large table i did on the "all my woodwork so far" thread. you do have to flip it but being a chopsaw it gives accurate results.

i would not be without one so i suggest you consider buying a second hand one on ebay.

Image result for dw708

Hi guys thanks for your reply’s ,Steve I do have a compound mitre saw that does 4 inch but turning the work round is never that accurate,maybe I need a new one ,the one I have is quite old it’s a erbauer one and it’s been ace my old neighbor worked at a place making park homes and came hammer with a massive one he never set it up and gave it away , I will give him a ring tomorrow, I have used a spear and Jackson,predator and a Japanese saw that is ace but it’s a ball ache ,Thanks for all your replays 

Google ‘beam cutters’

M.EBAY.CO.UK

The vertical foot-plate and built-in sight allow smooth, exact square cuts and ensures gliding manageability while cutting perfectly straight lines. With a 12 in. Quick & Easy Installation - 60 Second Installation, Installs with Three Bolts (included), No Need to Remove Any Saw Parts.
  • Like 1