Who employs their children?

nath

My lad has just turned 16 and has recently starting coming out to work with me on his days off from college. I never really thought tree work would be the thing for him but he seems to really be enjoying it (and the regular money), and has even hinted that he might want to do it as a career rather than the engineering course he's on. Personally I want better things for him than working in this industry and have tried to explain to him that theres easier ways to make money without destroying your body. He's got a better head on his shoulders than me and I want him to be more successful than me. But he's his own person and as much as i'd like to try and steer him in a different direction with my wisdom on the matter, ultimately it will be his choice. I was wondering if anyone else has their children working for them, and if so would this have been your chosen career path for them?

30 minutes ago, nath said:

My lad has just turned 16 and has recently starting coming out to work with me on his days off from college. I never really thought tree work would be the thing for him but he seems to really be enjoying it (and the regular money), and has even hinted that he might want to do it as a career rather than the engineering course he's on. Personally I want better things for him than working in this industry and have tried to explain to him that theres easier ways to make money without destroying your body. He's got a better head on his shoulders than me and I want him to be more successful than me. But he's his own person and as much as i'd like to try and steer him in a different direction with my wisdom on the matter, ultimately it will be his choice. I was wondering if anyone else has their children working for them, and if so would this have been your chosen career path for them?

I have had my son work for me in the past and was fine but now he,s an ecologist,but ultimately i have always encouraged my kids to do what ever makes them happy and if it meant working with me then so be it

• Like 2

My son is coming up 21 and has worked for me part time since the age of 13. He's currently doing final year of arb degree. Then it's up to him. He can either work with me or find employment. As long as he's happy, so am I.

Edited by daveindales

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Nobody is destroying their body.

Or if they are they’re doing it wrong.

I've been doing it wrong! I lay in bed awake in pain most nights...i find it quite uncomfortable even to type for any length of time these days, which is really useful for a website developer.

I personally want better for my son than that but would of course support him in whatever he chose. If he did decide to go into tree work I would most certainly be encouraging him to invest more of his time and energy into building up the business so he could get off the tools at an earlier age.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I've been doing it wrong! I lay in bed awake in pain most nights...i find it quite uncomfortable even to type for any length of time these days, which is really useful for a website developer.

I personally want better for my son than that but would of course support him in whatever he chose. If he did decide to go into tree work I would most certainly be encouraging him to invest more of his time and energy into building up the business so he could get off the tools at an earlier age.

As long as you dance to someone else’s tune, you’re going to get sore feet.

• Like 8