How can we revitalise this forum?

wisewood

Going back several years when I was first dabbling with this artform this forum was a font of useful information. Fellow newbies and masters alike were posting regularly, showing us their recent works. Job opportunities and carving logs were advertised and queries were asked and answered.

I check in two or three times a week, sometimes more and it can be months before a new thread is posted.

I guess the majority of us are content with Facebook and Instagram and don't feel the need to share on here anymore.

It would be nice to inject some more life into this forum though, not everyone does Facebook. I follow the milling forum as well and that doesn't seem to have suffered the same fate.

So what do we do?

Q&A?

Tips and techniques?

Simply posting pics of your work isn't enough, but it's a start lol[emoji106]IMG_20191010_161954_856.jpegIMG_20191020_145618_322.jpeg

• Like 8

Facebook was in full flow when this forum was still thriving. Did we simply not lose loads of members around the time of the Brexit debate? Seeing core forum contributors being down right aggressive with their right wing leanings was pretty off putting. The majority of craftsmen I meet are simply far more laid back and dont stick around when macho cow dung is being flung about.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Possibly although I tend to skim over political debate so don't get to read extremists rants.
I know I was guilty of dropping out a few years back when the site got reformatted. I only look at a few forums, is it the same on any of the others? From my perspective the chainsaw carving forum seems to be the most affected.

I have nether Snap chat or Facebook , but I am an old git .  I go on A/T every night . Don't always post , mostly read others  . The Brexit debate has taken up a huge amount on here but that is perfectly understandable . I think that most of the questions come around and around over and over again . Asked by each new influx of newbies . I was one myself . What saw , what stove what mill what fire wood " What ! what aint any country I ever heard of . Do they speak English in what ?   .....Sorry after a time you tend to not bother unless its something new and refreshing . Love the bear by the way .

• Like 6

Well. Tree works are a very diverse sphere of operations and crafts so maybe we need a standard bearer in the media for what we do. Michela Strakan springs to mind , or Sir  L.Henry. There is so much media potential in what we do - I am baffled as to why it ain't been taken up. K

Edited by Khriss
( an that was Kev n Dempsey having a pop at me Mr Stubby -pay no heed ;) )
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, wisewood said:

Possibly although I tend to skim over political debate so don't get to read extremists rants.
I know I was guilty of dropping out a few years back when the site got reformatted. I only look at a few forums, is it the same on any of the others? From my perspective the chainsaw carving forum seems to be the most affected.

I am on a few other forums and have not noticed much decline. On here there used to be plenty on the Woodcraft forum and quite a bit of chat about charcoal but it doesn't have its own specific place. Now colliers have their own facebook page with no swearing, racism or political talk. A much happier place to discuss matters. 

Just try posting plenty of your work and maybe work in progress and you might temp a few people back?

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3