WW1 Commonwealth Oak tree Avenue Windsor?

organic guy

I,ve stalked on here for a while but this is my first post. I am an organic dairy, beef and arable farmer with a passion for trees and wood. recently bought a chainsaw mill and have replaced a 12in oak beam on shed. Also have two sons who make furniture as hobby.

I planted a oak wood two years ago with 7 species of oak and have some spaces which I would like to fill with different species. I read of an oak avenue which I believe was planted to commemerate? the commonwealth soldiers of WW1 and wanted to visit but cannot find out where it is.Can anyone help?

TIA

Guy

Edited by organic guy
more detail
  • Like 1

There was something in the news fairly recently but that was about planting new trees in commemoration of soldiers in WWI. Sorry can't be more specific than that. 

You might not be dreaming, potentially the person who wrote the book you read was dreaming and so you thought you might have dreamed a dream. Anyway enough of that. 

Hope you find it. 

Getting rather annoyed, so I went and searched for a likely book and luckily found the right one first time!

Peter Fiennes "Oak and Ash and Thorn".  Grove of oaks planted on 19th June 1937 to commemorate coronation of George 6th by Commonwealth representatives. Contains Quercus coccinea, Q.acutissima, Q.palustris, Ilex,sessilflora,macrocarpa,libani,robur,hispanica,macranthera. 

Now all I need to know is where in Windsor park? Can't find it on any maps or google. 

• 7 months later...

having searched the internet for details of this avenue went to Windsor Park today on my bike and stumbled across this. Mystery solved, another trip planned for the autumn to go guerilla acorn hunting!

Came across this oak hit by lightning recently.

The park was awesome.

IMG-20200621-WA0000.jpg

20200621_110345.jpg

• Like 4