Anchor for winching

Con

1 minute ago, Con said:

Thanks for all the input. I'm not offended by any of the comments,  in fact I take the 'most stupid ever' comment as an acalade, especially when I think back to the 'vesp era'!

Haironyourchest painted a better picture than I did. All the usable area is block paved, there's a bit of grass, but your under the tree virtually.  I did consider lifting blocks and ground spikes. Bit of a gaff tho. There's a detached garage. I don't like the idea of a rope around it tho. All the stresses are behind the winch operator,  out of site. Something could be happening unmoniterd. The wall bracket I thought about is right angled, and I considered putting it on corner of the garage. Don't worry,  I'm not now! I do understand about tensile and compressive strength. I'm not trying to uproot a redwood.

It's a holly, with a slight backward lean. 2 men on a pull rope can recover it. I was just trying to think of a more controlled method, in case they slip. Probably end up climbing it, and getting pricked and scratched to death!

I stand corrected - how could I have forgotten Vesp!

Just had awful visions of you stood there with a big hole in the side of someone's house and you getting sued!

Would a winch on a vehicle not be enough? Never used one but would a tree jack help?

Will look forward to how you do it in the end.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, petercb said:

I stand corrected - how could I have forgotten Vesp!

Just had awful visions of you stood there with a big hole in the side of someone's house and you getting sued!

Would a winch on a vehicle not be enough? Never used one but would a tree jack help?

Will look forward to how you do it in the end.

I'll be climbing it. No video tho. That would a very tedious watch ?

Couldn't you just run enough rope round the building to your van and use that -seeing as how its just a Holly and not some ridiculously big tree? Then you can tension it and use the van as a controlled pull. Drilling into someone's house is ludicrous. As well as damaging a very expensive structure, you might hit a waterpipe, gasline, electric wires etc. What if they start noticing damp in the near future - even if you've done a tidy job repairing the holes that's where I'd end up pointing the finger.

If you get a rope a little way up that tree, there really shouldn't be much winching force required to take it down.  A few hundred kg at most.  I know absolutely nothing about UK building codes (I'm in Norway), but I certainly wouldn't worry about running a solid piece of rope around a building - if no other options are available - and using that as an anchor.  If you're worried about the corners, nail some pieces of scrap wood together on the edge and use that for protection.

Otherwise, the Swedes have some neat forestry tools.  The Stalpen Tree Jack, if you are not familiar with it, would probably be more than sufficient to force the tree over and bring it safely down.  

WWW.SVEDBROSMIDE.SE

21 hours ago, Con said:

Thanks for all the input. I'm not offended by any of the comments,  in fact I take the 'most stupid ever' comment as an acalade, especially when I think back to the 'vesp era'!

Haironyourchest painted a better picture than I did. All the usable area is block paved, there's a bit of grass, but your under the tree virtually.  I did consider lifting blocks and ground spikes. Bit of a faff tho. There's a detached garage. I don't like the idea of a rope around it tho. All the stresses are behind the winch operator,  out of sight. Something could be happening unmoniterd. The wall bracket I thought about is right angled, and I considered putting it on corner of the garage. Don't worry,  I'm not now! I do understand about tensile and compressive strength. I'm not trying to uproot a redwood.

It's a holly, with a slight backward lean. 2 men on a pull rope can recover it. I was just trying to think of a more controlled method, in case they slip. Probably end up climbing it, and getting pricked and scratched to death!

Fair play Con, well explained.

You’re not as mental as I first thought.

• Like 1