Electric breaker any good for posts holes?

scbk

10 hours ago, dumper said:

You can get chisels and points for your kango up to 1m long plenty for most post holes

Yup. SDS MAX is the best system- the 28mm hex as used on Titan breakers is much chunkier, and far too heavy in my book at longer lengths.

That said... if anyone wants to buy a 1m chisel to fit a Titan type....PM me! Pickup only from near Chichester. Subject to me finding it again.?

My mistake. 30mm hex is the Titan type. Or the Erbauer we have (MUCH better anti vibes). They are hard to find, I had to grind mine to make it fit.

Chunkier is only better when you are giving it large with a mini digger that's taking all the weight. Three feet down at the bottom of the hole, trying to attack the sides and stop it just sliding to the bottom, you'll wish you had a more accurate chisel.

Or an air spade...

Edited by doobin

Just to say , all these cheap demo hammers are I think mostly one or other of  two designs, I.ve had several.

A stupid wee bit will fail and there's no spares available... you need to spend far more to get a decent tool unless you only need it for one job and don;t care.

I can't imagine trying to break Scottish rocks down a hole with a 3 foot chisel on !!

Perhaps like me,    you need a digger?

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

Just to say , all these cheap demo hammers are I think mostly one or other of  two designs, I.ve had several.

A stupid wee bit will fail and there's no spares available... you need to spend far more to get a decent tool unless you only need it for one job and don;t care.

I can't imagine trying to break Scottish rocks down a hole with a 3 foot chisel on !!

Perhaps like me,    you need a digger?

Yes most of them look the same.

Wonder what the minimum size would be to have a chance of breaking rock?

7.5kg Hitachi  https://www.toolstop.co.uk/hikoki-dh-40mey-sds-max-brushless-rotary-demolition-hammer-240v

10kg Dewalt  https://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-d25899k-10kg-sds-max-breaker-demolition-hammer-110v-p10672

A rotary hammer would possibly get used for other jobs (drilling) too, but might no be any good for heavy breaking?

ps got the digger but I want post holes not mass graves :ph34r:

Coming to landscaping from the building trade, I'd only ever use a hydraulic breaker with a power pack. They're expensive but nothing else really matches them. JCB Beaver is the industry standard but Belle do a good one as well and it has about the lowest vibration rating you'll find.

They're a lot of dosh but they'll do a hell of a lot of work. 

Used ones are often nicked or knackered so beware, but there are reputable companies selling refurbished units for half the price of new.

Bearing in mind that a landscaper's breaker isn't going to get a fraction of the abuse they get in the building trade, a refurbished Beaver will probably last you forever.

WWW.FARMERS-EQUIPMENT.CO.UK

The JCB Beaver Hydraulic Power Pack - A powerful and robust Powerpack yet still lightweight, ideally suited to the rigours of...

Alternatively, consider a Makita cordless SDS Max. You can buy 500 mm long spade bits and long reach reach chisels for hole digging.

https://www.mad4tools.com/toolpak-sds-hammer-max-breaker-steel-blade-110mm-x-500mm#tab_description_tabbed