Electric breaker any good for posts holes?

scbk

Has anyone had much success using a circa 15kg electric breaker/demolition hammer for digging post holes in very stoney ground?

The sort of tool you see advertised in screfix/toolstation ie https://www.toolstation.com/draper-expert-1700w-185kg-breaker/p21125

Either for trying to break up large rocks, or at the very least dislodge them enough to be removed with shuv-holers

I have in the past used a 30kg hydraulic breaker (regrettably I sold it) and it was semi-useful. The problem was if it got stuck in the soil, it was an absolute pig to pull out due to the weight of it, and being well buried. (I work on my own)

Edited by scbk

What you want is the air powered spade thing that Lidl sometimes do. Available on eBay if they don’t have it.

need a compressor too but it’s what you need. A breaker is too heavy and it’s hard to find a long point. I’ve tried it but the air spade thing is way better. 

• Like 1

I use a Makita breaker

bit heavy and not cheap now but gets job do and got a 900mm long chisel for it. 

WWW.HOWETOOLS.CO.UK

Free next working day delivery on MAKITA HM1203C (240v Demolition hammer - SDS max) with no-quibble returns and full manufacturer warranty.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:39, doobin said:

What you want is the air powered spade thing that Lidl sometimes do. Available on eBay if they don’t have it.

need a compressor too but it’s what you need. A breaker is too heavy and it’s hard to find a long point. I’ve tried it but the air spade thing is way better. 

I remember seeing that in the lidl leaflet at the time, didn't think it would be heavy enough to break rock/concrete etc?

26 minutes ago, scbk said:

I remember seeing that in the lidl leaflet at the time, didn't think it would be heavy enough to break rock/concrete etc?

It's surprisingly good. Easily as much power as a 10kg breaker (probably a little more) but in a very lightweight format that you can handle like a spade. Really handy bit of kit, we use ours all the time on any footings that need a bit of hand digging. Goes through heavy clay beautifully- turns an hours hand digging into twenty minutes and no effort.

We use a 25l /2.5HP compressor and it makes it work hard.. I wouldn't want to use it on a 1.5HP compressor, and I'm hoping the petrol compressor will keep up with it.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, doobin said:

This is the same thing but more expensive

I use a large electric breaker but that looks like a useful bit of kit....not too costly either.

It's worth knowing that the Chinese electric breakers do not like the wet or even damp conditions, I keep a plastic sack over mine when out......if moisture gets to the brushes they can evaporate spectacularly, cheers. 

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Worth looking at the petrol breaker/drills, they use the sds max system. You obviously get what you pay for but handy bit of kit nonetheless.

Bob

IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.438b74aabd2231799f132a5192c1c491.JPG

I've got the same drill. Handy for certain things, but I found the breaker force pathetic compared to a similar electric machine, and not a patch on the air spade thingy. Also very heavy to use.