ETW for tree work in England/Scotland

PatrickR

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me out. I'm a tree surgeon in Austria, am working now here for 1 1/2 years, climbing all the time. I did the chainsaw, climbing and rigging courses as well as a fruit tree surgeon training and am considering doing the European tree worker now. Took part in the ISA Austrian national tree climbing championship as well and didn't finish last ?

Now, I want to move to the UK next year (got a Geordie girlfriend) and want to know your opinions. Does it make sense for me to do the ETW here in Austria for work in the UK?

And obviously in general, how does work look like in England/ Scotland?

Thanks for your Infos!

Hi there,

To be honest with you I hadn't heard of the ETW until I went out to Norway sub-contracting. Most in the UK recognise NPTC qualifications so if you already hold the equivalent to those in Austria I can't imagine there would be an issue transferring them over however I maybe wrong. As for the work over here in the UK be prepared for the frequency of "nice work" to drop. I much prefer working abroad (Norway/NZ) but then again I do mainly domestic work in the UK which on the whole, isn't to great.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

The reason it’s becoming a big thing (in Scandinavia at least) is it’s the first/only qualification that separates treefellers who spike/section fell and arborists.

here people who fell trees through sectionfelling get confused and call themselves arborists, even the likes of husqvarna call sectionfellers arborists!  

ETW is a pretty basic easy exam. Read the book, learn the tree ident list and youre Good to go 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

ETW isn’t worth that much in the UK.  Seems to be a lot more recognised in Eurozone and Scandiwegia.  

When I first started to work in Norway before I moved here, I laughed when I was asked if I had ETW.  

I have a Cert III in arboriculture from Melbourne, & now Im living in Norway Its been suggested I should do ETW.

Don't think Im going to bother though, when very few people here have it anyway & what I hold is a similar level of qualification just under a different name & from a warmer place with bigger trees!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks to you all for the helpful (at least most of it apart from the Geordie women talk) comments!

So yeah, I don't bother about doing the ETW here now. Also helps saving up that 2.5 grand fees for the course ?

Does anybody know though where I can ask for translating my certs?