Old trucks for export.

benedmonds

Anyone else sold an old truck recently... There seems to be a big demand for vehicles that are at the end of their life being exported.

I had calls within hrs of posting one of our old Iveco's up for sale,  with several people willing to pick it up tomorrow with cash..

Do they just have mechanics in eastern europe who can make trucks last longer as they get to a point here where it is not economically viable to keep them on the road..

• Like 2

Although not trucks we have sold a few machines for export over the years. Most recently earlier this year a couple of big 9" GreenMech old chippers to Lithuania. They seem to like big, heavy, strong, fairly worn out old kit. 

I think what we consider end of life and what some countries consider end of life are two very different things. I get the impression they have a more make do and mend attitude...

I sold a couple of old MF 390 tractors with cabs to South Africa about 3 years ago. In the UK we considered them almost scrap. Both cabs were rotten, one wouldn't stay in its gears but they cut the cabs off and went to start a new life down there and were very happy with the products!!

The export market seems to be all or nothing depending on where the exchange rate is.

The Gov.uk website is brilliant for export advice.

Edited by GA Groundcare

I dont know if this is still going on but back in the 90s and early 2000s we as a country being the UK were inporting toyota hilux surfs and mitsibishi pajeros from japan by the boat load, come to end of life in japan and exported to uk, i looked at both and not expensive for what you got, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dumper said:

We still import second hand tractors and diggers from Japan 

A guy up the road from me imports diggers and compact tractors from japan but diggers are numbered diffrent to the uk i looked at a kubota KH31 i think ? 3.4 tonne machine very tidy low hrs but when i rang Pv dobsons and gave the modle number the guy just japanise machine that one diferent in many ways to a uk machine and the only part they could supply was track sprockets pumps drive motors all different to uk models,,,

4 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

A guy up the road from me imports diggers and compact tractors from japan but diggers are numbered diffrent to the uk i looked at a kubota KH31 i think ? 3.4 tonne machine very tidy low hrs but when i rang Pv dobsons and gave the modle number the guy just japanise machine that one diferent in many ways to a uk machine and the only part they could supply was track sprockets pumps drive motors all different to uk models,,,

Yes they are cheap until they go wrong 

• Like 2