Job market- central scotland

Centralscot

Hi folks. 
looking for a bit of perspective from experienced climbers/tree surgeons. What’s the job market like in central scotland? 

I am an early thirty something living in Stirlingshire with a good job in the healthcare sector.   I am strongly considering a career change and I’m keen on getting into tree surgery. My father was an arborist, and I’ve worked at home with saws for years.  Also enjoy climbing. 

I currently have zero tickets, but I am in a position where I could try to “blast” through them all back to back. all that being said, what is the job market like in central scotland  for someone needing to get started out? Particularly a mature learner!

I am nervous of going into a career if work availability is slim. My aspirations are to get up with the serious climbers, but I am well aware I must learn from the ground up. 

TIA

There’s always work on this industry for hard working people with a can do attitude, regardless of the part of the country you’re in.

experience will be your let down but as hard as it is to find decent workers, I reckon most employers would overlook that for the right person who puts in the required effort consistently 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

There’s always work on this industry for hard working people with a can do attitude, regardless of the part of the country you’re in.

experience will be your let down but as hard as it is to find decent workers, I reckon most employers would overlook that for the right person who puts in the required effort consistently 

One issue I keep finding with the more mature life style change employees, especially the ones with something about them, is that they often plan to set up on their own.  (I was the same). But as an employer you don't want to invest in them as they just end up leaving and setting up as competition...

Having your tickets does make it lower risk for an employer.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

One issue I keep finding with the more mature life style change employees, especially the ones with something about them, is that they often plan to set up on their own.  (I was the same). But as an employer you don't want to invest in them as they just end up leaving and setting up as competition...

Having your tickets does make it lower risk for an employer.

Fair comment. Can totally appreciate the concern.  
Personally I wouldn’t expect someone to “put me through” a load  of tickets and then just disappear to do my own thing.  I’m of the mindset that it’s a small world and it’s best not to burn bridges like that. 

I would hope that someone would invest time/energy into me to help develop My craft in return for a solid graft. And hopefully a decent working relationship.  

I don’t know how easy it is to get in the door with any local folks. As yet I have no network.  I’m hoping that when I start doing tickets I may make some connections. 

Lots to figure out!

There's quite a lot of companies around central Scotland, but I can't comment on the quality of their work.

As I always say to prospective climbers, a good knowledge of trees is absolutely fundamental if you're looking to get in to arb. So if you do go this line get some books and get learning. It doesn't matter if you're the best climber in the world, if you don't know about trees you'll likely do a crap job and cause long lasting harm to valuable trees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, slasherscot said:

stick with your job atm ... try and get some experience either weekend or days u are off during the week........having tickets is essential if you want to work large utility  or woodland based companys......personally i wouldnt go down the forestry route

for sure.  I couldn’t afford to just stop current job completely and then cross fingers for a successful career in arb.  I’d need to drift across. 

out of interest, why would you avoid forestry work?

Hi, ring round some local companies and offer to drag brash for a few days. If you like the work then get your basic chainsaw felling ticket.
There's a fair bit of forestry work in Stirlingshire, so might be worth looking into even if you decide to rule it out.

All the best.

Jan.

• Thanks 1