Job market- central scotland

Centralscot

35 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

If you are naturally very good at climbing and fearless then it’s easy!  Just monkey up and cut it down!  That’s all I’ve ever had in my head, as far as tree knowledge, waste of time! Focus on pull ups and dips,  It’s Scotland, no such thing as arborists, it’s climbers and grounders and good climbers do takedowns, learn how wood works under the saw, every cut tells you a different story, if you can stick it 1 year, no days off, no pub, no holidays just graft then you should make it.

You need to be in the gym 5 nights a week after work and that’s you working minimum 12 hours a day!  You are over 30 so it’s going to hurt in the morning, you will need a good Ostiopath, good sports massager and painkillers.

If you want to be Mr Ninja Climber and TOP of your game and somehow manage it,  nobody will know, there’s no badge or trophy’s, just a bank balance that’s either full or empty.

To become a good climber you need to do big trees, you need to find out who does the big trees and get a job with them, so a big company where you will just be a guy who sits in a cab with other guys who hate their job and won’t even blink at the thought of an 80’ dead elm removal on a railway in the dark!

There’s no montage music when you are tripping over your gaffs falling head first into brambles and dragging your rope through dog shite before you even start getting off the ground plus you will be doing it in water proofs over ballistics 9 days out of 10 in the central belt after taking 2 hours to get anywhere and same again at night trying to get back to the yard to unload before heading home in further traffic then home soaked to then dry your ropes and harness out before the morning.

Charge on and just do it is my way of thinking.

This is sort of what I was expecting. In terms of fitness, I’m quite athletic and I like climbing trees. I also love figuring out how to deal with a tree.  At the moment I am probably the guy that annoys  pro arbs (no tickets, no training).  I just have a Couple saws, ropes, grit and YouTube!   The major difference is that at the moment I can fanny around and do stuff at a “Sunday pace”.  

I’m quite sure my body would take a beating if I start doing in on a commercial basis.  but nothing I can’t manage.  I’ve always been, and still am, athletic.  

ideal situation would be if I could contract myself into a situation where I could work with/around the big guys doing big trees 2 days a week and learn/absorb it all. At the same time I could still Locum myself out in current role.  And then when at a level that it’s financially viable I could move across.  Or alternatively quit if it turns out I’m a pussy lol!!

If/when you start in a crew,don't be the twat who stands there "learning" you are a tool to be used to complete the job,it's not college you are not paying to be there, you are being paid to do.

I can tell after a couple of days wether or not someone will last

The guys I am prepared to invest time and money on are those who possess self motivation an initiative, nothing is going to put me off teaching someone to climb like seeing them standing at the base of the tree surrounded by branches "learning.

Take some time off your job,organise a couple of weeks with some local firms and see if it's for you

Anyone can do this job,only those who really want to actually become good at it.

I wish you every success and hope you find as much joy and adventure as I have done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Imagine it from an employers point of view, bringing someone in 2 days a week who is at apprentice level who wants to do ‘ the big trees’ the climber makes a tree surgery company money, until branches get cut off a tree, there is no money being made, you are not going to get paid to stand and ask questions and get taught how to do it.

If you have a harness, rope and a saw, that’s it, you are a climber.  If a company owner sees you run up a tree and cut branches off, there is a level of potential to work with.

If you are still fannying about with ropes and can’t get your saw started after 5 mins at the base of a tree, no 4g signal and tube is going to help you.

A transition period doesn’t show commitment imo, I’d pick a money hungry guy over a dream chaser all day every day.

I’ve been both, the first time I tried to become a tree cutter I lasted 5 weeks, then 18 months of living in a bed sit after chucking my couchy job and free house and spending all my savings , I realised I HAD to get up the tree, I had to be terrified and bursting for a shit in the pissing rain and wind with no option but to keep going up and battling my brain that keeps telling you to get down and go to a safe place but you can’t, you have an audience, you have said you can do it, so you keep pushing past your fear to get it done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone 

think I’ve got a Fair enough idea of how/what to do.  I’ll go get some tickets, and then make contact with local guys and explain where I’m at and see if that works for any of them.  

Hi Central, I've sent you a pm about a trainer who could do your tickets.