Another large oak stem "whats it worth" question

farmerjohn

Hi again all.

I have been asked to bid on a large oak stem and would like a idea of a fair amout to bid.

It was wind blown a number of years ago, access to it is good. Can be milled where it is whit chainsaw.

Its practically 4ft in diameter all the way up aprt from the burred area at brest height which is about 4ft 8 inchf

It is 18ft long.

Any advice greatfully received. 

John

20191012_105231.jpg

20191012_105303.jpg

20191012_105510.jpg

Why not agree on a price subject to quality? So, if it turns out to be firewood then that’s what you pay for. Conversely, If it turns out to be sound and well figured, then you pay the premium. I wood see that as fair, if I was the seller: no one gets ripped off.

• Like 1

Why not agree on a price subject to quality? So, if it turns out to be firewood then that’s what you pay for. Conversely, If it turns out to be sound and well figured, then you pay the premium. I wood see that as fair, if I was the seller: no one gets ripped off.

Done this before, didn't go well.
Client was convinced the large rot pocket was a "feature" and therefore worth more[emoji848]
Also how many clients are prepared to wait 2 years plus to find out if it warps or splits?
There's so much that can go wrong with wood drying.
A timber merchant I know had some incredible 10'x2' burred oak. The 2" pieces were perfect, but the 30mm boards had up to 20mm warpage.
Only good for chopping boards.
Individual trees from gardens are generally stupidly overpriced compared with properly grown and harvested forest trees.
As I often explain:
Me: That's a lovely tree, I'll give you £50 for it.
Client: But it's worth a fortune?
Me: Yes, if you had 1,000 more I'd offer you a £50,000. But you have one.
Client: Oh.

It’s a nice looking tree from the outside, and you’ve been asked to bid on it.?

But It looks like it’s been left to rot for a few yrs.. so what’s all the rush..

If you offer a little more than fire wood, and it turns out to be 1/2 rotten, when you take your time setting up all your expensive kit. It will be  expensive firewood..

or you could offer a slice/slab of the cake so to speak, then let the owner sit on it till it’s dry and sell it on..

13 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Done this before, didn't go well.
Client was convinced the large rot pocket was a "feature" and therefore worth moreemoji848.png
Also how many clients are prepared to wait 2 years plus to find out if it warps or splits?
There's so much that can go wrong with wood drying.
A timber merchant I know had some incredible 10'x2' burred oak. The 2" pieces were perfect, but the 30mm boards had up to 20mm warpage.
Only good for chopping boards.
Individual trees from gardens are generally stupidly overpriced compared with properly grown and harvested forest trees.
As I often explain:
Me: That's a lovely tree, I'll give you £50 for it.
Client: But it's worth a fortune?
Me: Yes, if you had 1,000 more I'd offer you a £50,000. But you have one.
Client: Oh.

Quality can be confirmed once sawn, I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone to have to wait till it’s dried. However, I take your point that judgment could be somewhat subjective. If the client values “rot pockets” though, you could suggest he keeps those bits, and you just pay for the good bits.?

live long and prosper?