Smokey Waterford 100 ??

157142763461715604733989742385.thumb.jpg.8593ca92bb4ff7cbc9d5e29d5a0af4c1.jpg15714275158492519138195183831407.thumb.jpg.6c2f6eff2d52944061613eced89a6c84.jpgWe replaced a great reliable Jotul with this Waterford 100, bought for cheap. I like the stove, well made, heavy, but by God it smokes. It smokes on lighting. Smokes when the fires going well and everything is hot. Basically if the door is opend, it smokes. The Jotul never smoked. Now, the Jotul was old with the internal baffels cracked, and I passed it on to a relative for his workshop. It was running a light gauge, single wall stainless flue, no probs. I gave the flue away with the Jotul, and bought a new flue for the Waterford 100, a heavier gauge, single wall stainless. Anyone have experience with this stove? I'm thinking the internal airflow Dynamics of the Waterford are just not as good as the Jotul. It also has a wider opening than the Jotul. Here's a pic. Ideas will be great fully received.

39 minutes ago, carlos said:

you could look online for an exploded view parts manual to see if its all there and set up properly,

cant help other than that. jotuls are nice stoves!

Yeah, I tried, it's an ancient model, very little info on it. I think it's all there, two side baffles and the too baffle, all interlivking like they should. We're looking at getting a Jotul 602 if I can't sort the Waterford out. I'm going to try and make the firebox opening smaller by blanking off a few inches with bits of flat bar-stock and see if it helps. The Jotul had a bit of a "lip" on the floor end of the firebox opening, whereas the Waterford firebox is just flat all the way.

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

I'm thinking the internal airflow Dynamics of the Waterford are just not as good as the Jotul.

Is the top baffle in place? it does need to be there and a good fit so the offgas is forced forward to meet the incoming air, else the two don't meet before the temperature drops and they pass unreacted up the chimney.

I have a damaged jotul 602 which I have been contemplating repairing with vermiculite fibreboard for the baffles to up the firebox temperature a bit but have been so pleased with my morso 11 I haven’t bothered and have just put the jotul up for sale for spares.

I had the earlier version of that stove , it was then called a Reginald 100 which I bought in the late 70’s early 80’s.It transformed our old cold Welsh cottage that had a fireplace that filled the room with smoke when the wind was from the wrong direction. I had it for around 30 years , rebuilt it a couple of times and it never smoked.

31 minutes ago, slim reaper said:

I had the earlier version of that stove , it was then called a Reginald 100 which I bought in the late 70’s early 80’s.It transformed our old cold Welsh cottage that had a fireplace that filled the room with smoke when the wind was from the wrong direction. I had it for around 30 years , rebuilt it a couple of times and it never smoked.

Hmmm. Well, I made a kind of "threshold" for the firebox just inside the door, just a bit of flat iron, and it still smoked. Tomorrow I will sweep the flue and see if that makes any difference. I guess if it does, I'll feel a bit silly... cheers for the reply.

Update - problem solved! It was the flue pipe. Packed with soot, mainly at the 45 degree bends. With the old light gauge pipe, I could tell if there was buildup by tapping the pipe, could hear the difference. The new pipe is heavy gauge, and was misleading my ear! Must get one of those grill powered rotary brushes and sweep more often. Thanks for your replies. 

• Like 1