How much do you pay for your stove wood?

3 hours ago, BowlandStoves said:

Assuming you pay for you wood, what is your annual spend on fuel for your wood burning stove?

I'd be interested to see people's answers as well ... we only had ours installed on 24th Oct, I ordered £185  worth and am close to half way through it already and Christmas will make another big ish dent in it.

I think there's obviously the novelty value as we lit it every night for the 1st 10 days but now weekends and the occasional weekday.

I also wish I knew if it was more or less economical than gas central heating although I'm guessing if you're buying in logs it'd be less but at least you have some offset as we're in a bungalow and have turned the heating off every night we've had it on.

Less economical than mains gas Ch, but not badly.  I scrounge all my wood but by comparing gas bills from winters before the stove went in I estimate a cube of wood saves £65 on gas, give or take a fiver, and the house is run quite a bit warmer.  Most people seem to pay ~£100/M3 for hardwood, give or take £20.

2 minutes ago, neiln said:

Less economical than mains gas Ch, but not badly.  I scrounge all my wood but by comparing gas bills from winters before the stove went in I estimate a cube of wood saves £65 on gas, give or take a fiver, and the house is run quite a bit warmer.  Most people seem to pay ~£100/M3 for hardwood, give or take £20.

Certainly scrounging it is the way to go and something I will try to do ... have been out today and picked up a load of pallets to build a log store for if I do manage to so I have more storage for seasoning.

Certainly our lounge is a lot warmer with the burner going than the CH and I sit by a draughty window in a not well insulated outside wall and there's an old flat roof so the burner makes it a lot nicer and warmer to sit in for sure!!!

5 hours ago, neiln said:

A stove shifts air and dries the air out too

This is true, as a result the RH in my house is about 40% at a temperature of around 19C on the ground floor. 40% is a tad too dry and as I have some ash that is about 30%mc I arrange a few pieces in front of the stove (at a safe distance of more than 300mm. An 846g ash log lost  86gram of water in a day which makes it fit to burn and adds a bit of humidity to the house

Edited by openspaceman
caps lock

An interesting thread. My total avoidable bill for gas is £640 per year. Which really means if I use the woodburner with about 15 cubic meters (it does the central heating and hot water)  I could save about that amount. I scavenge for wood and enjoy the whole process but really and truely it wouldn't be worth buying it all in.  The wife is quite keen on the fire in the winter as it really dries the washing effectively, and I do prefer the constant heat as opposed to the gas fired central heating cutting in and out on the thermostat. As openspaceman points out it keeps the house dry which is a plus!

Edited by Capetown