How much do you pay for your stove wood?

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I decided long ago it's not; if three axe blows don't split it I saw it. The drawback is extra sawdust but I keep that under cover and put it in a bag at the base of the fire before I start it.

yep, wedges are good for large rounds but still straight grained, and even then good technique with the axe flaking bits off is easier.  wedges and gnarly bits are a battle...I'v learnt to noodle with the saw, much, much better.

Had 3 chunks of ash by the back door that I'd left a bit large in the hope they would go in the fire as is because they were going to be nasty to split.  Went out in the dark (nearby street light so not totally dark) last night with a sledge and the wedge.  First two were hard work and part way through the third I wished I'd got the saw out of hibernation; it was a so and so.  Good exercise is the only positive I can think of...

8 hours ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Had 3 chunks of ash by the back door that I'd left a bit large in the hope they would go in the fire as is because they were going to be nasty to split.  Went out in the dark (nearby street light so not totally dark) last night with a sledge and the wedge.  First two were hard work and part way through the third I wished I'd got the saw out of hibernation; it was a so and so.  Good exercise is the only positive I can think of...

Fire wood always warms you twice .?

• Like 1

Being a proud Scot I pay as little as possible ??. I have been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time, I’m also on the tip site page and had deliveries from some off generous chaps on here. My recent load came my way because Hampshire County Council are ploughing through the Ash in my area. Happy Christmas to you and yours 

Annie

On 10/12/2019 at 16:15, openspaceman said:

I decided long ago it's not; if three axe blows don't split it I saw it. The drawback is extra sawdust but I keep that under cover and put it in a bag at the base of the fire before I start it.

Is there a key to drying it?  I've not tried this, just assumed that big piles of green saw dust were going to rot before they dried.

13 minutes ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Is there a key to drying it?  I've not tried this, just assumed that big piles of green saw dust were going to rot before they dried.

I sweep it up on a dry summer day and put it in a large cardboard box in the logshed. Wherever possible I bring back my logs as rings off jobs to avoid producing too much sawdust at home.

I am currently trying to re dry some circular blade sawdust I used to prefilter some diesel contaminated with water and bugs and I have that under cover in two lawn mower vented collectors, it is slowly drying still.