English Walnut (To be felled soon)

E2todd

Many thanks for all your great responses so far -

Yes when its felled in a few weeks I'll check the heartwood for sure
& if I can fit it on my car-trailer deliver it to a local mill for re-use 
Otherwise I intend to use the branches for firewood
So perhaps I'll keep the trunk in my garage for bench tops!
Cheers Todd
PS Sorry photo doesn't show the bottom half of trunk, some of which is beneath a raised deck!

• Like 1

Aye unless you use an Alaskan though it’s a pita .. even for an Alaskan it’s a pita really! , no good for a conventional bandsaw mill or if you want more than slabs , makes loading awkward ,takes up more room storing in the yard and usually won’t fit on the mill with out bits sticking out in to the rails or machine guards, and makes turning the log and levelling awkward... for a nice character slab great though... can’t really see a lot of character in that log though myself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

Another walnut video.........  Shows a branch being cut off to reduce the width so it fits onto the mill, while retaining the crotch figure which is 'highly desirable' to some end users.

Andrew

Beautiful !

On 17/10/2019 at 23:20, E2todd said:

Many thanks for all your great responses so far -

Yes when its felled in a few weeks I'll check the heartwood for sure
& if I can fit it on my car-trailer deliver it to a local mill for re-use 
Otherwise I intend to use the branches for firewood
So perhaps I'll keep the trunk in my garage for bench tops!
Cheers Todd
PS Sorry photo doesn't show the bottom half of trunk, some of which is beneath a raised deck!

I seriously doubt a Mill will take the log. Its not worth their time and the chances of it being full of metal will put them right off. If you're wanting it milled I think you'd either have to sell it for £100 and forget about it or pay someone £2-300 for a days Milling, keeping in mind they'll want chains/bands that get chewed up in whatever metal might be buried in there covered. 

On 18/10/2019 at 22:39, trigger_andy said:

I seriously doubt a Mill will take the log. Its not worth their time and the chances of it being full of metal will put them right off. If you're wanting it milled I think you'd either have to sell it for £100 and forget about it or pay someone £2-300 for a days Milling, keeping in mind they'll want chains/bands that get chewed up in whatever metal might be buried in there covered. 

I don't know where you're getting someone to do a days milling for £2-300, baring in mind this tree is in Essex it's likely to be closer to £450 for days milling.

Like with all these trees in back gardens, they look nice and the owner believe it's worth a fortune but by the time you've taken in to account, access, milling and transport the likelihood is the sawyer will want paying.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

I don't know where you're getting someone to do a days milling for £2-300, baring in mind this tree is in Essex it's likely to be closer to £450 for days milling.

Like with all these trees in back gardens, they look nice and the owner believe it's worth a fortune but by the time you've taken in to account, access, milling and transport the likelihood is the sawyer will want paying.

Aye fair enough. £2-300 is on the low side but I was taking into consideration its only one Butt and maybe someone would be happy to Mill it for that price? I know I would be.

• Like 1