ANOTHER CURIOUS NEWBIE

Liam Outdoors 89

U seem to have done ur homework and got a fair idea wot u want to do.

I was just hoping to say do ur basic saw tickets then mibee try to get a wee bit work grounding etc to make sure u do want to climb.

Expensive tickets and gear

Everyone wants to get a saw ticket and then climb.

There is always more forestry type work, must admit I enjoy it far more than climbing. Less hassle.

But everyone's different.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, drinksloe said:

U seem to have done ur homework and got a fair idea wot u want to do.

I was just hoping to say do ur basic saw tickets then mibee try to get a wee bit work grounding etc to make sure u do want to climb.

Expensive tickets and gear

Everyone wants to get a saw ticket and then climb.

There is always more forestry type work, must admit I enjoy it far more than climbing. Less hassle.

But everyone's different.

Hey Drinksloe - This is an awesome point I'm still very opened minded about all aspects of tree work. I still don't really know what specific sub discipline I'm actually interested in yet. When looking in to it more, tree climbing is the most obvious one and when looking for jobs on-line, most of them are looking for climbing Arborists.

I am in a similar position buddy, different current job ( sales rep or was till last week when my redundancy ended lol)
Got into tree climbing via nature programmes used my petzl climbing harness, bought a rope and prussic, watched some videos and off i went, slowly added tree specific kit when i knew i wanted to go in that direction. Started doing some part time tree work at weekends and using holiday time.
This progressed to a silky in the tree then a chainsaw. Have now done 30/31 and 38.
Really enjoying it and can now transition into semi full time tree work (also do some handyman stuff fitting kitchens, laying wood flooring etc) variety is the spice of life.
Try and find some local tree climbers and go rec climbing, can learn a lot by example

2 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

I am in a similar position buddy, different current job ( sales rep or was till last week when my redundancy ended lol)
Got into tree climbing via nature programmes used my petzl climbing harness, bought a rope and prussic, watched some videos and off i went, slowly added tree specific kit when i knew i wanted to go in that direction. Started doing some part time tree work at weekends and using holiday time.
This progressed to a silky in the tree then a chainsaw. Have now done 30/31 and 38.
Really enjoying it and can now transition into semi full time tree work (also do some handyman stuff fitting kitchens, laying wood flooring etc) variety is the spice of life.
Try and find some local tree climbers and go rec climbing, can learn a lot by example

Cheers Dbikeguy - It's awesome to hear others changes careers etc. I think we all get wrapped up in learning one profession when were younger and then doing it for life. There's nothing wrong with that if you love what you do but I've lost my passion for my current job.

I was/am in pretty much the same position as yourself. i was a mechanic from 16 - 27 then fancied a change, luckily there is a family hedge cutting business ran from our farm so we have a large customer base and yard etc. I've bought the gear and booked onto kingswood training to do the months training doing all the basic tickets/techniques etc.

i still do the odd days mechanics for a local garage to keep ticking over when needs be but its the best decision ive made regarding work. just taking the initial jump is the hardest part, good luck to you! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quillhallarb said:

I was/am in pretty much the same position as yourself. i was a mechanic from 16 - 27 then fancied a change, luckily there is a family hedge cutting business ran from our farm so we have a large customer base and yard etc. I've bought the gear and booked onto kingswood training to do the months training doing all the basic tickets/techniques etc.

i still do the odd days mechanics for a local garage to keep ticking over when needs be but its the best decision ive made regarding work. just taking the initial jump is the hardest part, good luck to you! 

A mechanic who knows how to repair and maintain large Arb machinery would be a great asset to any company, certainly a good selling point if your looking for employment, enjoy your training at Kingswood, they have a tight ship at the minute.

• Like 2