ANOTHER CURIOUS NEWBIE

Liam Outdoors 89

Hello every one.

I'd like to start with an apology as I am sure this topic has been covered again and again and again....

Very new to the forum and just as new to tree care/Aborist currently more of an interest. It's a bit of a long posts I'm sorry......

I've been in my current industry for almost 10 years and before I jump ship and think about completely changing my job I've been doing my research looking in to training, the type of work, the physical and mental well being of working in the Tree Care industry. I am 30 with a young family to think about I am currently mortgage free and have a small amount of debt.

Before every one jumps on me and says "it's very physical, it's hard work you'll regret it" blah blah blah, I work in the events industry. I'm front Kent and most of my work is in C.London & further north of. I commute between 3-4hrs every day and work between 10hr - 19hr days. There can be a mix of heavy rigging, lifting truss, speakers, cable trunks, flight cases. And sitting on your arse for long period of time. I'm self employed and does it pay fairly well I won't lie.

I've developed this interest in arboriculture from now living on a 12 acre small holding for last 2 years. Clearing small branches, bush, nettles, small tree's and just general working out side. Iv'e been tidying up the small holding using inherited Chainsaws, Pole saws & hedge strimmers/cutters. (Don't worry I bought all the PPE after starting a chainsaw for the first time)

I want a change in career to hopefully get slightly more regular hours e.g. 07:00 - 16:00 with around 2hours of commuting. I am fully aware this won't always be the case. And I prefer working out side. Most of my work is indoors, along with irregular working hours and feast or famine work times of the year and I think I'vehad enough of it.

Since watching videos and listening to Podcasts It's only grown my interest in the industry and wanting to learn as much as I can. Practicing knots at home and at work to master a few of the basics. I am also very aware that watching and listening to information on line is no replacement for practical experience and years of experience on various different jobs.

I'm thinking about buying a climbing kit to practice at home on some various big/medium trees we have the 'garden', I've got 2 friends that are rock climbers and use harness. I know that's not the same but they are very safety conscious and I like to think myself of a competent person that won't take risk if you don't need to.

Any way my point is.........Should I buy a basic arb climbing kit to get some practice climbing and see if it's an aspect of the job I will enjoy. Just to clarify NO I will not be using a handsaw in the canopy until I have done my aeriel chainsaw use ticket. I've heard too many home owners horror stories.

Thanks for reading

Liam

• Like 2

If your Kent based, speak with Kingswood Training or Scott Fraser Training and look into the availability of a flexible combined ground based and aerial unit training/certification.

It will give you a taster of the physical/technical level that you would be expected to be at as a starting point for a career in Arb.

Feel free to pm me details of who I need to speak to to get a job in the events industry that would see me mortgage free on a 12 acre smallholding in Kent by the age of 30!!! (Long hours and hard work aren’t a problem - it sounds almost part-time compared to running your own tree firm).

In all seriousness, you sound like you’ve done your homework - get a climbing kit and a copy of the Treeclimbers Companion bought and get up some trees!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

Feel free to pm me details of who I need to speak to to get a job in the events industry that would see me mortgage free on a 12 acre smallholding in Kent by the age of 30!!! (Long hours and hard work aren’t a problem - it sounds almost part-time compared to running your own tree firm).

In all seriousness, you sound like you’ve done your homework - get a climbing kit and a copy of the Treeclimbers Companion bought and get up some trees!

Ha if it was only that simple, pretty much living on Mother in Laws inherited place. We built a separate property yadayada.....

Also YES i've been listening to the educated tree climber and that's on my to do list of reads.

Edited by Liam Outdoors 89
-
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

If your Kent based, speak with Kingswood Training or Scott Fraser Training and look into the availability of a flexible combined ground based and aerial unit training/certification.

It will give you a taster of the physical/technical level that you would be expected to be at as a starting point for a career in Arb.

I've looked at Kingswood and there combined courses looks really good, If I enjoy climbing and enjoy helping out some local firms for pocket money I'll book it and go from there. Using Chainsaws and Climbing might be fun but £3k is still £3k if I decide it's not for me!

5 minutes ago, Liam Outdoors 89 said:

I've looked at Kingswood and there combined courses looks really good, If I enjoy climbing and enjoy helping out some local firms for pocket money I'll book it and go from there. Using Chainsaws and Climbing might be fun but £3k is still £3k if I decide it's not for me!

The chainsaw bit is easy if you are confident and comfortable in a tree (assuming you are competent with one on the ground and have a sensible degree of self preservation!). But definitely worth getting proper training for when you are ready.

Get a basic climbing setup, learn a few knots and understand/follow the principles of anchor points then get up there - aim to push yourself to the tops of trees, and to get out as far as you feel comfortable on various limbs. You’ll soon know if it’s for you or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1