pdi check or just random sampling. was it worth it

wakefield tree surgeons

Is the pdi check worth it,  or is it just just an employees random sampling of hereing a saw screem...!

I meen we dont buy a hoover from an outlet,, and watch them unbox it,, plug it in and start hoovering the store... Etc.

Is this stihls / husqvarnas policy / or the dealers..   

And this is where my problem now lies.  A Cold start seizure..  doesnt mean its fully seized,, just scored the piston & dammaged rings..

Meaning lack of power, bad idleing, stalling.. and genrally f@@ked...!   

And this is what i was passed over the counter

Can we demand a non pdi-check  or would this void our warrenty...

59 minutes ago, wakefield tree surgeons said:

Is the pdi check worth it,  or is it just just an employees random sampling of hereing a saw screem...!

I meen we dont buy a hoover from an outlet,, and watch them unbox it,, plug it in and start hoovering the store... Etc.

Is this stihls / husqvarnas policy / or the dealers..   

And this is where my problem now lies.  A Cold start seizure..  doesnt mean its fully seized,, just scored the piston & dammaged rings..

Meaning lack of power, bad idleing, stalling.. and genrally f@@ked...!   

And this is what i was passed over the counter

Can we demand a non pdi-check  or would this void our warrenty...

They need educating . There is nothing wrong with checking a saw over before handing it to the customer but putting ten years on first is just plain wrong .

• Like 4

To be honest guys a good PDI is essential. Saws, just like all machinery need checking over, out of the box, in order to ensure that they are safe to use and correctly tuned.

This process inevitably means running the saw to maximium revs and check those revs with a tachometer to ensure that they are correct. On machines with mixture screws it is not unusual to have to adjust them a little to achieve the perfect setup. 

Prior to this full speed check though, the oiling, chainbrake and tickover/pickup will have been checked. This allows a little warm up and bed in time before the WOT test.

In any case, the WOT test will only be for a few seconds and absolutely no harm will come to the piston and bore from this, and will not take life off of the saw.

It would be a different story however, if the saw was put straight into work from cold and worked hard, as many operators do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It shouldn't ...BUT... the quality and ..CARE.. of the PDI can have much to do with the person carrying it out. 

Garden kit summed up why they are needed and "Most" machinery makers "require" there suppliers to undertake one to keep the warranty in order.  

Sympathetic treatment of a new saw to ...at least! ..allow some heat and lubrication to build for the crank bearings /piston bearing and bore by pulsing the throttle for a short while before then going to a short full throttle and taking a TAC reading is my own preference. I also favour and carry out some test cuts to be sure of the running condition of the saw as well as help to bed in the ring/rings.

Starting and then straight to a "prolonged" ...Full.. throttle is something I would not do myself! 

Edited by Sawchip

Im sorry Mr garden kit,,  but i, and Many others may disagree with that statement,,,  

You go buy a new £1000.00 saw or any other cost,, give to me brand new in the box,, let me fuel it, then once its fired!!!! im going to put on full revs / flat out for 30 seconds. turn it off & then give it you,, and take your money.....   No oil test / brake test or what ever...!  

Would be happy with that...!   But Seddons plant (stihl) dealers find this exceptable...  & now its fucked i have to wait for the repair...

If Only i new a way to EXploit seddon plant...!  whooooo if only

Edited by wakefield tree surgeons
spelling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wakefield tree surgeons said:

Im sorry Mr garden kit,,  but i, and Many others may disagree with that statement,,,  

You go buy a new £1000.00 saw or any other cost,, give to me brand new in the box,, let me fuel it, then once its fired!!!! im going to put on full revs / flat out for 30 seconds. turn it off & then give it you,, and take your money.....   No oil test / brake test or what ever...!  

Would be happy with that...!   But Seddons plant (stihl) dealers find this exceptable...  & now its fucked i have to wait for the repair...

If Only i new a way to EXploit seddon plant...!  whooooo if only

It’s the best way of bedding them in, same as anything, would do more harm letting them tick over when everything’s new and not mated yet..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1