New saw, pdi check at full revs on first start...! Really..

wakefield tree surgeons

Every time I have picked up a new Stihl,  it has that green mix in it , in the last few year. That gets tossed and new fresh red mix in it. How long has that mix been in saw from factory to dealer ??? Don't care- fresh mix, fire it up n slowly rev up to 3/4 speed. If it ain't fell Appart then hours gentle cutting until a tankful been thru. Then work it up to full speed thru day. If it's fukkd it will die on the day. 

Mate, take the saw back an get another dealer , I would be incandescent at this point. K

• Sad 1

Im pushing all the write buttons here,,, e-mails / reports / cab / findings / reports / 

Demanding a replacement / which /  

My button works.. but farr too many ear defenders swtched on...! 

Yep.. ill swallow this £400.00,  but ive done over 10k with seddons i find them a good deal...

Just ashame they cannot admit..!    there loss,, next time... // Every time...

Ill find it on the next job...

• 1 year later...
On 14/10/2019 at 14:42, wakefield tree surgeons said:

O.K Here we go,, just got of the phone from stihl (direct) to be told its not there issue,, the issue is with the dealership ( seddons )  They ( stihl )  take No actions,,  whatever the situation...

Seddons are refuseing to replace,, only repair  2month waiting...  Even thou they mite of blown up a new saw,,,  or its just faulty....  

Stihl are aware of this post on arbtalk... and dont care...!  And thats public relations....!

Is this shop an authorised servicing dealer? I have recently had issues with a saw and my (authorised) dealer was directed by Stihl UK. they were told to offer to replace the faulty part and any other issues that the technician found no quibbles. If I wasn't satisfied with that, supply another machine. As it happened, having the the saw repaired was quicker. Another machine would have needed to be ordered. 

On 15/10/2019 at 08:39, Khriss said:

Every time I have picked up a new Stihl,  it has that green mix in it , in the last few year. That gets tossed and new fresh red mix in it. How long has that mix been in saw from factory to dealer ??? Don't care- fresh mix, fire it up n slowly rev up to 3/4 speed. If it ain't fell Appart then hours gentle cutting until a tankful been thru. Then work it up to full speed thru day. If it's ****************kd it will die on the day. 

Mate, take the saw back an get another dealer , I would be incandescent at this point. K

"That Green Mix" is most likely to be MotoMix - probably the best fuel you could put in the machine. It has a shelf life of years so would do no harm however long if was in the tank at the dealer.

In the factory, machines are connected directly to a fuel line for testing rather than filling the tank. This way they can be shipped dry. 

Good practice running the saw up gently. Most manuals say not to run the saw "full throttle off load" for the first three tanks. I enterpret this to mean go ahead and use the saw sensibly, just don't rev it's tits off like some chavvy twat! ?? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sambo said:

"That Green Mix" is most likely to be MotoMix - probably the best fuel you could put in the machine. It has a shelf life of years so would do no harm however long if was in the tank at the dealer.

In the factory, machines are connected directly to a fuel line for testing rather than filling the tank. This way they can be shipped dry. 

Good practice running the saw up gently. Most manuals say not to run the saw "full throttle off load" for the first three tanks. I enterpret this to mean go ahead and use the saw sensibly, just don't rev it's tits off like some chavvy twat! ?? 

...... I have worked with a lot of chavey twats ! Did not know abt the Green, so took no chances. Pretty much know if its going to be ok after a day of steady use. Have had two out of the box that wouldnt even run!  K

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Khriss said:

...... I have worked with a lot of chavey twats ! Did not know abt the Green, so took no chances. Pretty much know if its going to be ok after a day of steady use. Have had two out of the box that wouldnt even run!  K

That's a bummer. I will say that's why I like the dealer setting up / PDI'ing the saw so I know I'm taking away a working machine with the correct attachments on it. Funny how things differ from one dealer to the next. The guys I usually use are happy to only rev the machine to 1/2 throttle to check the engine and oil pump are operational. They even use motomix if you ask! Or they'll hand over the machine on the box and let you get on with it. Another place local to me is adamant that they cannot sell a unit only, in the box, without a bar/chain fitted - I think that's a bit of shady up-selling though! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Big dealers offer a further discount if you pdi it yourself, sold still in the box as it were.
I prefer this, as I not only don’t run it at full throttle out of the cut for the first 3 tanks, I don’t run it full throttle in the cut for that period either.

There's no reason to ever rev out a chainsaw really! Start the cut sensibly then add power when it needs it.

I think YouTube has a lot to answer for when it comes to people's perception of how to handle chainsaws!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sambo said:

There's no reason to ever rev out a chainsaw really! Start the cut sensibly then add power when it needs it.

I think YouTube has a lot to answer for when it comes to people's perception of how to handle chainsaws!

You're always flat out in the cut but then the resistance from the chain is preventing it from revving out. Same as fith gear in a vehicle does. But no excuse for revving flat out from cold on a PDI. Only time I would use WOT with no load on the machine is when setting a high screw to ensure fourstroking and not too lean a mix.

That said, isn't WOT with no load on the saw for about thirty seconds part of the reset procedure for Mtronic gear?

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2