Wtf do i do next then?

stihlmadasever

Sooooo...the time has come to hang up the harness,fucked elbows,niggley back and so many other wee injuries of late,including pulled intercostal muscles and cracked ribs from falling out a dead bastard birch and slamming into the stem, also being told 3 days ago im showing the early signs of white finger from our occupational health nurse has convinced me to pack in climbing.

What the fuck do i do next?

I work for my local authority where i came from grounds maintenace/gardening and into arb work.

I need to seriously consider hugley reducing my time on the tools to prevent the onset of whitefinger so the only option really within my council is going into a litter squad....

Fuck that

Id be bored shitless in 2 days

TO is out as were going to resourse share with another council who will provide a TO to cover both areas.

The thought of going outside the council scares the shit out of me,

ive been there and i know how hard it is.

Starting up my own business at 47 is a total nogo,i would make it work but it WOULD cost me my marriage.

I could sub but the thought of climbing or hand cutting into my 50's makes my arsehole pucker up,plus id accelerate the white finger.

Arb/grounds maintenance management looks like my only option but i really dont fancy it tbh.

Id be thankful to anyone who has been in a similar position.

Anyone with any ideas

Much appreciated

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Sooooo...the time has come to hang up the harness,fucked elbows,niggley back and so many other wee injuries of late,including pulled intercostal muscles and cracked ribs from falling out a dead bastard birch and slamming into the stem, also being told 3 days ago im showing the early signs of white finger from our occupational health nurse has convinced me to pack in climbing.

What the fuck do i do next?

I work for my local authority where i came from grounds maintenace/gardening and into arb work.

I need to seriously consider hugley reducing my time on the tools to prevent the onset of whitefinger so the only option really within my council is going into a litter squad....

Fuck that

Id be bored shitless in 2 days

TO is out as were going to resourse share with another council who will provide a TO to cover both areas.

The thought of going outside the council scares the shit out of me,

ive been there and i know how hard it is.

Starting up my own business at 47 is a total nogo,i would make it work but it WOULD cost me my marriage.

I could sub but the thought of climbing or hand cutting into my 50's makes my arsehole pucker up,plus id accelerate the white finger.

Arb/grounds maintenance management looks like my only option but i really dont fancy it tbh.

Id be thankful to anyone who has been in a similar position.

Anyone with any ideas

Much appreciated

First thing I’d be doing is asking the council what they can do for you.

your comments make me think you’ve been working for the council for a very long time. Have they given you proper equipment all these years?

you might fall on your feet with something else in the council that you would like to do?

the other thing is then try and get a job that revolves around a hobby you have it won’t feel like work so will be enjoyable 

don’t leave the council without getting what you can from them the white finger coming on may help you in some respects 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

First thing I’d be doing is asking the council what they can do for you.

your comments make me think you’ve been working for the council for a very long time. Have they given you proper equipment all these years?

you might fall on your feet with something else in the council that you would like to do?

the other thing is then try and get a job that revolves around a hobby you have it won’t feel like work so will be enjoyable 

don’t leave the council without getting what you can from them the white finger coming on may help you in some respects 

This is sound advice. I don't know what it's like in Scotland but in England most local authorities tend to promote from within wherever possible. It's far quicker and cheaper than going through a lengthy and red tape entangled candidate selection process and you're already a known quantity to them.

There are all sorts of administrative and supervisory jobs in the environmental sector that would be a natural shift for someone with your experience and being in-house to start with gives you a massive head start. Surely you'd be an ideal candidate for a tree officer?

Definitely tell them your situation and remind them that your injuries were sustained in their service. At the same time make it clear you're very happy working for the local authority and you'd like to continue in some other capacity. They won't want to risk pensioning you off with a possible compensation pay-out. They'd far rather move you sideways, particularly as you'd move willingly. You could well be offered jobs before they become advertised and there's a good chance of financial promotion. You might have to settle for some stopgap position temporarily until the right vacancy turns up but otherwise you're sitting fairly pretty. If you can, stay put.

Edited by Gimlet