Cost to install root barriers

Woodwanter

Question

My insurance are taking ages to resolve an issue, I have a weeping willow about 20 m for a listed house which is suffering from subsidence.

Their lazy answer was to fell the tree. The haven’t done any soil tests, just a few movements. We are on clay, there will be slim to no footings, it’s  been two dry summers, what did they expect! I’m sure the willow is not helping things out but I don’t think felling it will fix the problem.

Access is easy, id like to learn firstly what depth I need to go to help sever the link between them and secondly, what cost and what materials are needed. I possibly have the plant to assist in this, I know the quote for felling and have a bit of clout with the insurers but would welcome some costings?

TYIA

Not so sure root barrier will be the answer, its quick and easy enough to install if you want to go with it. If the willow is removed the shrinking clay will heave as the ground re hydrates so it may be months or possibly years before you can do any remedial work to the property.

Bob

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Not so sure root barrier will be the answer, its quick and easy enough to install if you want to go with it. If the willow is removed the shrinking clay will heave as the ground re hydrates so it may be months or possibly years before you can do any remedial work to the property.

Bob

If a root barier is impermeable what is the difference in terms of ground water between installing and felling? If the barrier is long and deep enough , far enough out from the walls I mean.

Try getting some proper arb data- wot soil you on, wot was structural engineers report , wot other trees , drains , age of house , foundation depths, how big is Target tree , wots in yr neighbours garden , are you near fracking site or quarry etc etc ..... god I hate these Subs companies !! K

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

If a root barier is impermeable what is the difference in terms of ground water between installing and felling? If the barrier is long and deep enough , far enough out from the walls I mean.

What I was getting at was whether the tree stays or goes the ground remains unstable. There is no mention of roots getting at the properties footings merely the tree drawing moisture from the ground and shrinking the clay, root barrier is not going to fix that problem and if the tree is too contained it may die off. Without a lot more info it sounds to me like the house needs piling.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

the willow is about 16m tall, it’s about 30m from the house. 3 sides are fields / farm yard.

no other trees or drains in the area.

the soil is oxfordshire clay so loads of movement every year but especially the last few. No quarries or neighbours to worry about.

my argument is tree or not we are still going to get sub soil movement. if a root barrier stops the willow from taking water right by or under the house, it will help a bit. It may still affect ground water in the wider area to some extent.

not done any trial pits or anything which I think is shoddy, I don’t think it’s the roots directly but drawing moisture from close proximity is not going to help 

the house needs some works which they have not even discussed yet, under pinning may well be the answer but until we resolve the willow they aren’t going to take the conversation forwards.

On 16/10/2019 at 19:05, aspenarb said:

the shrinking clay will heave as the ground re hydrates so it may be months or possibly years before you can do any remedial work to the property.

Can't remember where, may be in Giles Biddles writings, but there's one case where the soil is still 'heaving' twenty years on :crying:

• Thanks 1