Lack of good climbers

Andymacp

11 hours ago, jmac said:

Is that self employed? Seems fair pay to me. I've heard others in north east Scotland struggle to get guys and put it down to most young folk chasing bigger money off shore, not sure if that's right or not.

I think that when there is bigger money off shore and people can also earn that sort of money behind a desk, then you struggle to get people who will do that type of work when there is more risk. I think this is because we as a society is now so risk adverse that.

There is also an issue when you look at the cost to get qualified. I have done all my ground qualifications and my climbing & rope rescue. I will now be adding all my other 'up in a tree' qualifications. The total cost for all that inc VAT will be about £ 9,000.00 and you don't even get a degree. It will also take the same amount of time to get qualified in all aspects as it would to get the degree. There is also the cost of kit to add into that. So in many peoples eyes you are not a professional person with out a degree.

So I would guess that many parents would steer there kids in a different direction.

16 hours ago, Andymacp said:

We been advertising for a good while to try and recruit climbers to our company in North Scotland (Moray).

Is it just this area or nation wide?

Offering good pay I think £150/day.

Might be worth trying to find out if you can get funding to train up one of your own guys... In Wales there is funding for training..

Your nearest training centre will know if there is any funding.. City & Guilds will be able to tell your where your training centres are: 0247 685 7300.

It might also be an idea to contact all the training centres in Scotland and they will have the contact details of people who have qualified and will have an email contact list. They might email out a job opportunity for you.

If you are still struggling because there is no funding in Scotland and there are not people entering the industry as a result. Then you could email the Welsh training centres as I know there are a number of people who have been funded to enter Arborist industry. I am sure that they want to keep these people in Wales... But if there is a good person looking for work I am sure they would want to build up some experience. Especially if there is some help with accommodation.

The people who help fund training in Wales are a company called.
1) Focus on Forestry First:  

WWW.FOCUSONFORESTRYFIRST.CO.UK

Two of the Training Centres Are:
2) MWMAC Ltd:  

WWW.MWMAC.CO.UK

mwmac Ltd is a leading Welsh Training & Assessment Centre for the Land-Based Industries in Wales, the UK and Europe.

Talk to: Katie Coles

I hope that helps..

Edited by Jamie Jones