462 or 572xp

woodwizzard

I own both , 572 XP and 500i, and if you made me choose only one it would be the 572. It feels a lot better and has a bit of "beef" to it unlike the 500 which I do wonder at how long it will last.. That said the 500 is a light very fast saw ( for a stock saw !) and if I was still doing section fells then how could you not have one as it would be a joy for that although I reckon you would loose the airfilter cover now and again if you didn't mind it ! The fact is at the moment between the 572 , 462 and 500i it's a tough call as all good saws. I would do a bit of research on the 400 as I'll lead to believe that it's not without teething problems which is why it's been out in Germany for a while but only now appearing further afield. I don't know what issue and only told this by a fellow that is pretty tight with Stihl Canada so take it as I did just something to have a check on ?

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 16:15, woodwizzard said:

I know neither have been out that long, but are they proving reliable so far and people happy with them. Thinking about a kind of do-it-all saw and either of these two would fit the bill, just can't decide which one. Been impressed with my 560xp, so quite keen on the 572, but the lighter 462 looks tempting.

just go and buy the one you want ? if you listen to every thing on here your head will be up your arse ! both the 462 and 500i have been trialed on the continent for a while now and there has been a few 462s in the Uk for well over 12 months that where handed out by stihl uk for trials, i used a 462 on a FISA course at christmas and all i can say is, if i had,nt just bought 2 461s i would of waited till may and jumped on the 462s.

• Like 3

Yes outside spike can be fitted, two options one like the 560 mounting i.e. two bolts top and bottom of side cover as standard with saw or change to a 372 type cover and use standard spike or as I did do a small job grinding away the ridge you get on the 572 cover and just use the 372 type outer spike. Have a look at the ipl and you will see the options.

• Like 1