Woodpecker Slab Flattener

trigger_andy

Ive been following the development of this system for a while and its now in full retail mode.  I'll most likely buy one soon as I think its a professional alternative to a DIY Router Sled and considerably cheaper than the Wood-Mizer offering (yes, different market). 

Anyway, thought Id share here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Maybe RobD has something simmilar in the Pipeline? :D 

WWW.WOODPECK.COM

The Woodpeckers Slab Flattening Mill is designed to flatten the top of live edge slabs. If you have every wanted to make...

slab-flattening-mill-02.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Ive been following the development of this system for a while and its now in full retail mode.  I'll most likely buy one soon as I think its a professional alternative to a DIY Router Sled and considerably cheaper than the Wood-Mizer offering (yes, different market). 

Anyway, thought Id share here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Maybe RobD has something simmilar in the Pipeline? :D 

WWW.WOODPECK.COM

The Woodpeckers Slab Flattening Mill is designed to flatten the top of live edge slabs. If you have every wanted to make...

slab-flattening-mill-02.jpg

Lovely bit of kit Andy for sure. Not cheap mind. I’m trying to persuade a mate who has all the  kit needed ie lathe, plasma cutter etc etc to make such a thing. Would you be interested in going for that if I could get a price and a spec, obviously it would not be as pretty but if he goes for it I’m sure it would be a sound bit of kit from an engineering and functionality perspective. 

Very nice looking tool as said....you'd probably need the second biggest and at best part of a grand by the time you get it...not exactly cheap, but I suppose if you had a lot of work for it you could make it pay.

My home made wooden router sled cost nothing and works well but is simple, rough and ready and no comparison to that set up...

cheers.

4 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Lovely bit of kit Andy for sure. Not cheap mind. I’m trying to persuade a mate who has all the  kit needed ie lathe, plasma cutter etc etc to make such a thing. Would you be interested in going for that if I could get a price and a spec, obviously it would not be as pretty but if he goes for it I’m sure it would be a sound bit of kit from an engineering and functionality perspective. 

Hey, Id be interested in what he came up with for sure. :) Cheers. 

Looks a nicely made piece of kit but would it not be worth devising a way to mount a hand held planer in it? I have used a home made router sled and it's fine for a few bits and bobs but if I was investing proper money in a jig not sure I would be happy with speed a router will offer. Mind you it may not be easy to mount a planer in a jig and devising a rise and fall mechanism 

have a good look on the internet in the various home build cnc sites, youll find all the ally extrusion types, mounts and slider bits, they're easy to build with the right bits, I've no pictures but I built something similar for routing out pockets in big slabs to fit interpretation boards sub flush for a client......stops the neds  ripping the artwork off the panels, you can also get router bits specifically designed for milling from axminster power tools......but trust me on this one, your either working outdoors, or getting one very large extraction system.......its nearly as bad as a 12" planer

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Looks a nicely made piece of kit but would it not be worth devising a way to mount a hand held planer in it? I have used a home made router sled and it's fine for a few bits and bobs but if I was investing proper money in a jig not sure I would be happy with speed a router will offer. Mind you it may not be easy to mount a planer in a jig and devising a rise and fall mechanism 

The following video shows a jig for a hand held planer being used when making frames for a traditional wooden boat which might be of interest. The frames a quite narrow timbers but I guess it might work with a larger slab.

Andrew

• Like 2