Sign in to follow this  
cymrulad

Foot operated firewood splitter

Hi there! Does any home user have experience with a foot operated log splitter? Any advice gratefully recieved.

Will be used to split round logs for home firewood

Not legally, no.  I wouldn't brag about it if you do source one or you'll go to H&S prison.  Splitters are supposed to require both hands to actuate the splitting mechanism.

45 minutes ago, nepia said:

Not legally, no.  I wouldn't brag about it if you do source one or you'll go to H&S prison.  Splitters are supposed to require both hands to actuate the splitting mechanism.

'Health and Safety at Work Act' covers work related activities.

'Provision and Use of Work Equipment' covers work equipment.

The OP gave the impression he was only interested in domestic activities, so he is breaking no 'law' and although he may end up in a publicly funded institution, it certainly wont be HMP  (or H&SP).

To be honest, if you have lost bost hands following a couple of painfully unfortunate incidents whist using a piece of modified forestry equipment in your back yard, a foot operted log splitter may prove to be really handy.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, petercb said:

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Great prices on your favourite Gardening brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.

I presume this is the sort of thing the op is referring to

Oh.

:$

In that case, maybe this...

image.png.117af88b2f3e8ad910c151cf63af540f.png

.... tells all that needs to be told.

:001_smile:

Edited by Bolt
  • Like 1

I modified my vertical splitter to foot actuated. First remove one handle (right one, in my case) and jury-rig the yolk to work off one handle. Then zip tie a chain to the remaining handle and attach the lower end to a foot pedal. The pedal will have to be attached to the base of the machine with a hinge, it it won't work. I died mine in untill it worked IK, but was never really good. Ended up going back to just using it with the one handle.

IMG_1292.jpg

This is the splitter to which I refer, I fail to see how I would end up in an institution as a result of using this, can anyone explain?

I was merely requesting if anybody had used one of these as opposed to an electric one, as I will be splitting a max of 5m3 a year, this seems much more cost effective for the home user versus a £500 electric version.

I fully understand the safety implications of needing two handed operation.

20 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Looks like it could easily be modified to clam a horizontal log as well, for crosscutting.

Not even modified . will do that just as it is .

• Like 1