Stihl MS400 CM chainsaw

Rough Hewn

Hey chaps has any one else used this yet? I'm debating between the MS362 and MS400 is worth the extra cash? And is it still too early to buy one?

They are on the shelf’s now , I would pay the extra 150 for the 400 c-m by it’s spec but not doing much cutting at the moment and have too many 560xp spares to warrant getting a 60cc Stihl.

hopefully will have a demo for a couple of weeks from still in new year as iv contacted them directly told me to get in touch with my dealer to get a demo unit out for me as im in the line for looking for a new 70cc saw for contract felling full time the 400 mite just do it if it hold up to its spec sheet but iv also looked at a 572xp 500i 562 and im waiting on the new 70cc echo to appear but this new 400 does look very appealing as its lighter more power than any 60cc saw on the market its nearly the same power as a 70cc saw so i will keep u posted and up to date on it when i get one to test 

24 minutes ago, markrufrider said:

hopefully will have a demo for a couple of weeks from still in new year as iv contacted them directly told me to get in touch with my dealer to get a demo unit out for me as im in the line for looking for a new 70cc saw for contract felling full time the 400 mite just do it if it hold up to its spec sheet but iv also looked at a 572xp 500i 562 and im waiting on the new 70cc echo to appear but this new 400 does look very appealing as its lighter more power than any 60cc saw on the market its nearly the same power as a 70cc saw so i will keep u posted and up to date on it when i get one to test 

They are going to lend you a saw for a couple of weeks on the premise that you might buy one?! Or might you buy a large volume of them? 

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

They are going to lend you a saw for a couple of weeks on the premise that you might buy one?! Or might you buy a large volume of them? 

going to send me a demo unit out to try no premise that i buy one i mite not even like it just told me to get in contact with my dealer to arrange for them to send me a demo unit out to try for week or two 

Just now, markrufrider said:

going to send me a demo unit out to try no premise that i buy one i mite not even like it just told me to get in contact with my dealer to arrange for them to send me a demo unit out to try for week or two 

if i like it and its up for doing the job i probably will end up purchasing one 

12 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve never heard of a dealer loaning out a demo saw, certainly not for a couple of weeks. I can’t see what’s in it for the dealer personally - be interesting to hear how you get on getting your hands on one. 

It depends on your relationship with your dealer no internet dealer is going to help but pay a little more and things happen, I’ve had both stihl and husky battery saws for over a week on demo, and clearing saws from husky echo and stihl. Did I buy clearing saw yes didn’t return the demo unit , battery chainsaw no waiting for new stihl battery then maybe.

I’m blown away that dealers have enough saws available to chuck them out on demo for a week or two - these are relatively low value low profit items in reality. A few hours/a day demo fair enough, or give a saw to a potential big buyer (local authority etc) to try on extended terms so a few different operators can give feedback. 2 weeks demo to small outfits seems bonkers to me (different scenario with game-changing tech such as batteries, which is almost definitely manufacturer supported I’d imagine). 

Possibly Stihl will help the dealer network pushing this saw as I reckon they’ve got some market share to claw back from the 560/562 due to the 362 being a bit shit though... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Most dealers I use will offer a new saw to try out for a week or two.
They will usually have one that is the demo saw, usually game changing saws battery or like these newer larger stihls that seem to have amazing power to weight and usability.

My dealer does this from time to time .

• Like 1