Ash dieback Felling

Evening all

Got the go ahead to clear all trees affected by Ash dieback 

The deal I have with the landowner is that I cut everything that's affected/dead and burn the tops and then keep all the wood in return. 

I shall be keeping a load of ash cord for myself for next years firewood. 

I am just curious how people go about taking on similar to what I have and how they make their money from it?

As there is more than I will probably have room for, what is the best way to make money from the surplus wood? 

I'm fairly new to taking on my own forestry stuff so still learning. 

Any tips, advice etc would be much appreciated 

IMG_20191008_152606.thumb.jpg.bdac0098d11859c46ee1c78b5093c8f4.jpg

Liam 

9 hours ago, Lfservices said:

Evening all

Got the go ahead to clear all trees affected by Ash dieback 

The deal I have with the landowner is that I cut everything that's affected/dead and burn the tops and then keep all the wood in return. 

I shall be keeping a load of ash cord for myself for next years firewood. 

I am just curious how people go about taking on similar to what I have and how they make their money from it?

As there is more than I will probably have room for, what is the best way to make money from the surplus wood? 

I'm fairly new to taking on my own forestry stuff so still learning. 

Any tips, advice etc would be much appreciated 

IMG_20191008_152606.thumb.jpg.bdac0098d11859c46ee1c78b5093c8f4.jpg

Liam 

Big J is doing a similar site . Check his thread out .

1 hour ago, Lfservices said:

0.70 hectares. Not sure how many trees, would it be worth me walking through and numbering them? 

I've probably felled between 30-60 trees already 

IMG_20191007_150257.jpg

I would just sell the rest roadside for firewood assuming you have lorry access. You'll get £50-60 a ton depending on location.

Might be the picture but they look a bit short. If you're selling for firewood you want to be 8-12ft, all the same length where possible. 

If you've already made a deal with the landowner I wouldn't bother numbering the trees. Just cut low for maximum wood and get as much as you can. 

Locally we've got someone who will chip brash for free then take the chip but I don't think that's a common thing.

51 minutes ago, gdh said:

I would just sell the rest roadside for firewood assuming you have lorry access. You'll get £50-60 a ton depending on location.

Might be the picture but they look a bit short. If you're selling for firewood you want to be 8-12ft, all the same length where possible. 

If you've already made a deal with the landowner I wouldn't bother numbering the trees. Just cut low for maximum wood and get as much as you can. 

Locally we've got someone who will chip brash for free then take the chip but I don't think that's a common thing.

Cheers. At the moment I'm cutting, stacking and burning by hand, no machines 

Have a quad and 4x4 I can use to move timber as well as a fordson major. 

I've cut 3 different sizes. 

Some in 2 metre, 5ft and some smaller of cut bits. 

Yeah of someone could chip the brash that would be ideal. I'll speak to a local farm I know that do biomass who may be interested 

we cut 2.5m 3m and 3.7mtr depending on the straightness of the timber, the site conditions and extraction method. If your using the major pull them all to your loading area as poles and cross cut them there if the ground will hold up and you don't have a forwarder. Remember 3.7s mean a less cutting

Beware of the timber being very unpredictable.

Also best requesting to see info from the woodland owner e.g correspondence from FC relating to the permissions as even on sites with severe dieback you should still have some dialogue with you area officer if your England. 

the volume could be quite significant so its worth considering getting a machine in for the extraction as the novelty of loading the atv trailer will wear of pretty fast

• Like 2