For Husky, Stihl, etc.... Is the chainsaw future battery powered?

Saegengott19

3 hours ago, gary112 said:

I think battery power is the way forward for home owner stuff and maybe for small jobs in built up areas but i cant see it working for everybody but the idea is good 

To be honest I think the opposite, for hobby/home owner stuff ur far better just with a straight corded electric power tool.

Far cheaper to buy, no battery running out or losing charge throu storager.

Probably far greener, only using the power u need and no environmentally harmful chemicals involved in making battery either.

I think for some jobs battery stuff is up to the job nowadays, but I bet very few pro users will rely solely on a battery saw and most will have a petrol back up in van.

I have been considering buying an elec pole saw but just a combination of price but mainly the worry that u'll run out of battery some day when u only need another 5 mins of power.

They're always that day u need to do that bit extra, a extra can of fuel is easy carried and cheap.

• Like 1

Trouble is tho, it makes Lithium a strategic mineral, Bolivia is sat on the stuff and that may make those people's lives miserable in the future. However I will also add that cordless drills / drivers are the feminists friend as they allow weaker wrist ed persons the ability to assemble flat pack furniture quickly , this also includes men with beards who wear plaid shirts n brown shoes. ( you know the ones. ...) k

33 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

To be honest I think the opposite, for hobby/home owner stuff ur far better just with a straight corded electric power tool.

Far cheaper to buy, no battery running out or losing charge throu storager.

Probably far greener, only using the power u need and no environmentally harmful chemicals involved in making battery either.

I think for some jobs battery stuff is up to the job nowadays, but I bet very few pro users will rely solely on a battery saw and most will have a petrol back up in van.

I have been considering buying an elec pole saw but just a combination of price but mainly the worry that u'll run out of battery some day when u only need another 5 mins of power.

They're always that day u need to do that bit extra, a extra can of fuel is easy carried and cheap.

It’s all in the preparation and comes with experience of the battery stuff though. I bought a cheap £130 Makita battery saw 18 months ago as I had batteries already etc. I really didn’t think I’d use it anywhere near as much as I do. I don’t do tree work anymore but I do a fair bit of chainsaw work involved with fencing/landscaping timbers/cutting back brash for access fence line clearance etc.  I honestly haven’t touched my husky 550xp or 357xp in 18 months, I have 2 sets of batteries and have just bought a 3rd set. I just can’t rate it high enough- I live 7 miles from the nearest petrol station, and not having to go and get petrol anymore is just pure bliss and the savings have easily paid for the saw itself..

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Trouble is tho, it makes Lithium a strategic mineral, Bolivia is sat on the stuff and that may make those people's lives miserable in the future. However I will also add that cordless drills / drivers are the feminists friend as they allow weaker wrist ed persons the ability to assemble flat pack furniture quickly , this also includes men with beards who wear plaid shirts n brown shoes. ( you know the ones. ...) k

Yeah- I agree with this entirely, I’m sure all this battery stuff is ever going to be green whilst it relies on lithium. 6 of one half a dozen of another. But for the operator In my experience the battery stuff trumps petrol any day on a convenience and health basis.

14 minutes ago, gary112 said:

How long do batteries last on constant running?

Largely it depends on motor output- if your ringing up 8” plus logs then you’ll drain the batteries pretty quick- perhaps 10 mins... but yesterday I cleared enough rhodie 2-4 inch cuts for 50 meters of fence and that was one set of batteries. 

I’d imagine the top end Husqy/Stihl would be that much better.

oh and I forgot my helmet.. it’s that much quieter it was just bearable to use without muffs- although it’s noisy enough that it’s best to.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2019 at 06:52, kav said:

Totally. Battery definately the way for small stuff but petrol for cutting etc. Be intetesting to see what the next few years bring

I may well change my mind about not replacing my petroil powered hedge cutter after my day today.

The local Ramblers group volunteered to clear a 800metre path that had become overgrown such that it was impassible. As the highway authority have abdicated their responsibility to keep it managed there was no other option.

The HA supervisor accompanied us and provided two  KMA 130 R power heads with triblade cutter heads, the gear heads did look a bit anorexic but didn't break. The back pack batteries were the AR 3000.

I was well impressed as the cutters were light enough to use at any angle and would cut woody side growth of 10mm as well as mow grass and bramble. The HA would only allow an operator 1 hour trigger time so each only ran for 2 hours ( there was noticeable vibration as one was holding the trigger and front handle mounted on the pole, with a normal brushcutter this is better isolated by the handles and grips). Conversely this holding arrangement gives far better articulation of the cutting head.

We had the luxury of a couple of volunteers acting as banksmen and raking up arisings 5 m to the rear. Normally I would use a mulching cutter on the FS 360 to avoid the need for clearing up.

So I would be happy to use this in place of my long reach hedge cutter  and as a short polesaw, I don't think it would replace the power of the mulching head on the 360.

I think someone said the attachments for my defunct ryobi lend out saw can be made to fit so I am considering having a punt at the KMA 130 R power head at 250 quid plus VAT but I wouldn't lash out on the big battery as I'd only need 1-2 hours trigger time. Not sure what battery and charger combination to choose though.

Edited by openspaceman