3.5 ton tippers?

benedmonds

While I know  they are not the most suitable trucks (we have two 7.5 tonners already)they are still the backbone of our industry, youngsters can drive them without expensive training and great for domestic arb. I have three 3.5 tonners at the the end of their sule. I want to get rid of 2, keep the best for occasional back up but get a half decent replacement..

Our isuzu grafter has been great and is top of my list as a replacement.

I like the Mitsubishi canter assume it is like the grafter

Would like a toyota dyna as I rate toyota but they are rare

What about the Nissan cabstar? I think it's a Renault which puts me off

Had 2 transits and they were average 

Have 2 ivecos daily and never been impressed with 3.5 ton ones.

We have a lr130 and while it has its place and will keep for ever don't want another...

Ldv, VW not considered

Mercedes expensive relative to others..

All the pickups are too small.

Needs to be able to tow 2.5 tons

Looking to spend £12 to £15+vat..

Thoughts please.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at the moment for a replacement was told yesterday that they have stopped production on the cabstar . A friend of mine runs one in his roofing supply business and rates it highly it never stops all day that is why I am considering one in the double cab version. Isuzu don't do one in double cab. How do you find the ride in the Isuzu? I like the look of them as they look like a little truck rather than a van. Most vans in that size are only 5500kg gross train weight which would only let you carry around 700 kg or less on the towing vehicle.

6 hours ago, bankhouse builder said:

I am looking at the moment for a replacement was told yesterday that they have stopped production on the cabstar . A friend of mine runs one in his roofing supply business and rates it highly it never stops all day that is why I am considering one in the double cab version. Isuzu don't do one in double cab. How do you find the ride in the Isuzu? I like the look of them as they look like a little truck rather than a van. Most vans in that size are only 5500kg gross train weight which would only let you carry around 700 kg or less on the towing vehicle.

we had a Isuzu and it was a great little truck,bouncy in the cab when unladen, but pulled like a demon when loaded, only had it a year until some lowlife nicked it never to be seen again.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 13:40, benedmonds said:

While I know  they are not the most suitable trucks (we have two 7.5 tonners already)they are still the backbone of our industry, youngsters can drive them without expensive training and great for domestic arb. I have three 3.5 tonners at the the end of their sule. I want to get rid of 2, keep the best for occasional back up but get a half decent replacement..

Our isuzu grafter has been great and is top of my list as a replacement.

I like the Mitsubishi canter assume it is like the grafter

Would like a toyota dyna as I rate toyota but they are rare

What about the Nissan cabstar? I think it's a Renault which puts me off

Had 2 transits and they were average 

Have 2 ivecos daily and never been impressed with 3.5 ton ones.

We have a lr130 and while it has its place and will keep for ever don't want another...

Ldv, VW not considered

Mercedes expensive relative to others..

All the pickups are too small.

Needs to be able to tow 2.5 tons

Looking to spend £12 to £15+vat..

Thoughts please.

Ben

I have always had cabstar. I brought a new double cab three way tipper in January knowing it was the last one I could get.

It's the only one where you can take the rear seats out to make a flat floor.

Now I have to think ahead and consider its replacement in 5 years time.

The canter is good, but you cannot remove the rear seats in the back, it has no bluetooth also!

Isuzu do not do a double cab 3.5tonne.

It's looking like it might be iveco as a compromise

A word of warning on the double cab cabstar, and even the single cab. No Nissan dealer round my way will service or do any warranty work, claiming it's too big for their ramps. I would have to drive over 100 miles for this!

As nice as these Cabstar/Canter  type trucks are they dont really lend themselves to the typical Arb body conversion. With a tool box plus kit behind the cab and three guys in the front they are overloaded on the front axle before you leave the yard. I weighed a Transit with the same and its just under, keep the load on the rear axle and its just about legal.I have just bought two Cabstars but they will be used as is without arb bodies, maybe just drop in greedy boards.

Bob

7 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Ben

I have always had cabstar. I brought a new double cab three way tipper in January knowing it was the last one I could get.

It's the only one where you can take the rear seats out to make a flat floor.

Now I have to think ahead and consider its replacement in 5 years time.

The canter is good, but you cannot remove the rear seats in the back, it has no bluetooth also!

Isuzu do not do a double cab 3.5tonne.

It's looking like it might be iveco as a compromise

A word of warning on the double cab cabstar, and even the single cab. No Nissan dealer round my way will service or do any warranty work, claiming it's too big for their ramps. I would have to drive over 100 miles for this!

Which size engine did you go for 130 or the 140 there are still a handful about but mainly 130ps 

53 minutes ago, bankhouse builder said:

Which size engine did you go for 130 or the 140 there are still a handful about but mainly 130ps 

The 140, but its seriously downrated compared to my previous one which was only 130! It's got an eco mode which is always on, you have to turn it off. Trying to work out how to disconnect it!

Going to get it remapped as soon as possible

• Like 1