E5 fuel

Wonky

I just got back from my Sunday news paper and fill up the car run from the petrol station.

It’s the first time I’ve seen the new E5 label on petrol and B7 on diesel pumps.

Now I’ve known for some time petrol has been mixed with ethanol but have thought it was 10%

I looks it up (but already guessed it’s 5% by the E5 label) and reads this..

“The move towards E5 and B7 labels is likely to herald the arrival of E10 petrol, which contains up to 10 per cent bioethanol and is claimed to bring about a two per cent reduction in CO2. The Government launched a consultation into E10 petrol in 2018, but motoring organisations have warned as many as 800,000 cars can’t use E10, and a second response to the consultation is due later this year. “

From here,

WWW.AUTOEXPRESS.CO.UK

DfT starts rollout of E5 and B7 labels indicating ethanol and biofuel content of petrol and diesel. Signs will be mandatory by 1 September

Anyone have thoughts on what 10% ethanol will do to chainsaws..

Yeh I know there’s aspen and sorts but the price tag makes my butt pucker up..[emoji51]

51 minutes ago, Wonky said:

Used this for a number of years and believe that it does what it claims, cheers.

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

Triple antioxidant fuel stabiliser eliminates then prevents ethanol related problems, promoting easy engine starting. Protect machinery from the corrosive effects of ethanol...

9 hours ago, Wonky said:

I just got back from my Sunday news paper and fill up the car run from the petrol station.

It’s the first time I’ve seen the new E5 label on petrol and B7 on diesel pumps.

Now I’ve known for some time petrol has been mixed with ethanol but have thought it was 10%

I looks it up (but already guessed it’s 5% by the E5 label) and reads this..

“The move towards E5 and B7 labels is likely to herald the arrival of E10 petrol, which contains up to 10 per cent bioethanol and is claimed to bring about a two per cent reduction in CO2. The Government launched a consultation into E10 petrol in 2018, but motoring organisations have warned as many as 800,000 cars can’t use E10, and a second response to the consultation is due later this year. “

From here,

WWW.AUTOEXPRESS.CO.UK

DfT starts rollout of E5 and B7 labels indicating ethanol and biofuel content of petrol and diesel. Signs will be mandatory...

Yeh I know there’s aspen and sorts but the price tag makes my butt pucker up..emoji51.png

Google ethanol wrecking small engines in the USA .

16 hours ago, Stubby said:

ethanol wrecking small engines

I don't suppose it does anything to big engines though ?

Who knows what the true global costs of these policies are and who's agenda it is in the first place.

Didn't know it was in diesel as well now.....great !!

Likewise I thought we used to have pumps labelled as E10.  I think the law was something like the E10 labelled stuff could have up to 10% ethanol but might be less, and in addition the suppliers had a % target to meet (maybe that was 5%, I'm not sure).

it used to be that the higher octane stuff was usually E free but its hard to find anything from the manufacturers.  IIRC only BP (with Ultimate) actually stated it was E free.  Having a quick google I can't find anything useful that is up to date

Ahh an bot of success!

Esso say  - 

WWW.ESSO.CO.UK

Get your questions answered. Visit our FAQ page to learn more about Esso products in the United Kingdom.

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

3 hours ago, neiln said:

Get your questions answered. Visit our FAQ page to learn more about Esso products in the United Kingdom.

Then I'll just take that as fact then !   

Without wanting contradict you at all, it's interesting that when I google it now....your right......But a couple of years ago, when I did the same thing, all UK petrol was E10....and as I said, didn't know about the diesel.

You can't believe a single thing your fed by any government or corporation.

The only way to find out is to test it for yourself

Then I'll just take that as fact then !   

Without wanting contradict you at all, it's interesting that when I google it now....your right......But a couple of years ago, when I did the same thing, all UK petrol was E10....and as I said, didn't know about the diesel.
You can't believe a single thing your fed by any government or corporation.

The only way to find out is to test it for yourself

I like the simplicity of this test of ethanol in fuel, however when adding the water a syringe would have been more easy..by not adding to much, and having to start again

But did you realise, he made ethanol free fuel... you just need to decant the fuel from the water..

However do not pour this water down a drain or on to the ground as it will still have petrol and contaminants. Much better to allow water to evaporate somewhere.
Or better still buy the stuff without ethanol..

As said before....It’s amazing what you read/get told, only to find later its total bovine excretement. This is why I posted about it as I thought 10% was already here and did not know about diesel
[emoji6]
  • Like 1