Husqvarna or Stihl Wanted

Paul Tomo

7 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

Is it right that without a chainsaw ticket you could buy a Husky top handled but you need a ticket to buy a Stihl top handled saw? 

Noooo. If yr working with a chainsaw- big raft of legislation applies ( if you use yr husqvarna in yr own garden - yr ok) k

I could well be wrong here but I don't think there is a " law " that states you can't buy a top handle without a ticket ( you would not be able to buy second hand on Ebay etc if there was ) but some manufactures / out lets recommend that a ticket be shown .  

• Like 1

I think it is the major manufacturers showing good practice when selling their saws through their dealerships and their is no law being broken if they do sell them not doing this but may have to legally defend themselves if a customer got hurt.

I believe the same is present if you use a top handled saw, OK if you use one privately but if you use one commercially as a contract climber or employed climber, the company employing you should cover themselves to ensure they have made sure you are trained to use one safely and have the correct certificates to do so. 

Don't take this as fact but its what I believe where current legislation is at.

On 04/10/2019 at 20:06, Paul Tomo said:

Is it right that without a chainsaw ticket you could buy a Husky top handled but you need a ticket to buy a Stihl top handled saw? 

No, you  need a ticket to but a new top handle saw no matter what the brand is. Well, unless you shop on eBay then you can but what you want. 

Unfortunately no dealer should be trying to sell you a new machine as it would be going against the manufactures selling policy. As stubby says it isn't the law and you or the dealer can't be fined/jailed but it is in place so we can continue selling top handled saws and pro tree surgeons can keep on using then r. If the system gets abused you can bet the hse and three other bodies who are keep to ban.top handles will raise their ugly head. 

They already have us in their sights forcing climbers to use an inferior two rope system that will cause more deaths than it saves and when they look at why that is I can foresee the ban hammer moving towards top handle saws.

Use your instructors saw, keep an eye out for a good used machine which will cost you at least half of not more than the asking price of a new machine and good luck with the course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

Dont need a ticket to buy one round here,i know 2 farmers who bought new t/h stihls from a dealer with no ticket 

They arent doing you any favours, the more people that have an accident with a top handle saw the more the chance that the HSE will ban the sales of top handle saws.

• Like 2

At the moment I’m using the ms170 for my tree work, it’s light and just about does the jobs I need it for and if I need a bigger saw I use the ms250. I’ve got the maintenance and the tree felling ticket which I’ve had for twenty year now and I’m now going for the two tickets i mentioned at the top of the post. I’ve been out of the tree industry for a few years and I thought I’d start up my old garden maintenance business again, this is why I’m going for the tickets for the tree work.

talking to you folks through Arbtalk on various topics is setting me in the right direction to becoming a competent tree arborists and I would like to thank you for your help, plus these topics will help others as well.

My question for you about the top handled saw is why would these bodies be wanting to ban the top handled saw? Plus I’ll not be mentioning any dealer names.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2019 at 18:25, GA Groundcare said:

Can do you brand new T540XP mk2 14” for £495 inc vat delivered to your door. 

Im down in Wiltshire in November do you have a shop there? I could pop in whilst I’m down their.