Tap and die set?

Gerbutt

Don’t mess about with a tap and die set. Spend the money you were planning on spending on the tap set on a second hand hub. Could be opening up a hornets nest with the insurance if anything goes wrong at a later date and if you family were injured or worse then you wouldn’t be able to forgive yourself. I know I wouldn’t. Just my opinion though

• Like 2

Don’t mess about with a tap and die set. Spend the money you were planning on spending on the tap set on a second hand hub. Could be opening up a hornets nest with the insurance if anything goes wrong at a later date and if you family were injured or worse then you wouldn’t be able to forgive yourself. I know I wouldn’t. Just my opinion though

I think I’ll take your advice onboard and get a used hub carrier from a breakers [emoji106]

I’d still like a tap and die set but I’m wondering now if the above could be applied to virtually anything that’s repaired? Say, an ms660 needs a helicoil for the plug, you put one in and then one of your staff is doing a cut where they have to chase it, and just at the critical part the plug blows and they get injured, I suppose the same would apply? Maybe just get a set for cleaning holes and bolts, not making or repairing anything?

Not wanting to contradict anyone  but from an engineering point of view a helicoil [ properly fitted ] is a perfectly acceptable engineering repair  although setting yourself up to do 1 thread repair wouldn't be practical due to the cost of the right tools.

Typically about an hours labour on a job like yours if you can find someone you trust with the right kit, good luck.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
These sets from Bergen are ok as jobbers taps and dies, not workshop quality but good enough if you shave the hair off your knuckles. About £60 ish, good set to throw in the service truck.

Bob

image_zps3cl9pqoe.jpg

Edit: The only thing I use an 18mm tap for is Lambda probe bosses, are you sure its 18mm thread and not 18mm spanner size?

Bob

DCB3EB51-72DB-4CEC-973D-6E1DFCBD846A_zpso23aaphd.jpeg

Hiya Bob

Do you have a link to these please? I’ve found a set that looks the same for that price but they are a different make.

There are some things in life where money spent equals a worthwhile expenditure - Optics (binoculars etc), HiFi, drills and ...tap and die sets. I have an old Hilka set from 70-80s and they are damn good taps - a good cheap ebay find. I like Vcoil helicoil stuff as it gives a well formed thread. The cheap Chinese stuff just doesn't cut the mustard...simple as that. The Chinese have the engineering to create a decent tap but we want cheap and that is what we get!

For custom stuff like fitting new plug holes, I get a single tap to do the job and agree Dormer are the dogs but a bit pricy unless you are cutting threads every day.

Brake Calipers - just get a new part - they are a safety device - who wants the dread in the heart when approaching backed up traffic to find no brake action....just saying - you may not get a second chance!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
It’s on a vw Passat 2003.

Thanks for all the replies. What I need to do is drill the old hole out and re-tap it with the next size up.

Drill out and helicoil[emoji1303] German car stuff often has steel bolts into an Alloy and the best solution is often a helicoil kit that includes the right sized drill and helicoil. Usually lets you use the original sized bolt too.

I’ve Helicoiled all four callipers on an old Porsche we have. The end of the steel bolt corrodes and strips out the aluminium hub, and there’s no access to clean out the steel end that corrodes.

• Like 1