Tap and die set?

Gerbutt

6 minutes ago, Canal Navvy said:

Junk shops & car boot sales are a good source of good quality old tools. Add the metric bits from ebay etc and the really common ones are worth buying new. 18 mm A/F is odd, knowing the age and country of origin is often a guide ?

ANSI ( American national standards institute ) 12mm bolt has an 18mm  across the flats head . What the pitch or thread angle is I don't know .  

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

It’s one of the bolts that hold the calliper carrier on. That’s why I’d rather re tap than put in an helicoil.

I totally agree. If it didnt tap out clean then i think i’d be finding a breakers for a good 2nd hand hub carrier.
  • Like 2

These sets from Bergen are ok as jobbers taps and dies, not workshop quality but good enough if you shave the hair off your knuckles. About £60 ish, good set to throw in the service truck.

Bob

image_zps3cl9pqoe.jpg

Edit: The only thing I use an 18mm tap for is Lambda probe bosses, are you sure its 18mm thread and not 18mm spanner size?

Bob

DCB3EB51-72DB-4CEC-973D-6E1DFCBD846A_zps

Edited by aspenarb