New Hilux- any DPF issues doing mainly short trips.

Matthew Storrs

I have the Navara tekna 65 plate . The DPF light has never come on and I do mostly short trips . About once a fortnight I might take my daughter to Midhurst  , about 18 miles round trip and the odd trip to DM Chainsaws in Walberton ( similar distance ) .

• Like 1

I have the Navara tekna 65 plate . The DPF light has never come on and I do mostly short trips . About once a fortnight I might take my daughter to Midhurst  , about 18 miles round trip and the odd trip to DM Chainsaws in Walberton ( similar distance ) .

Thats far enough for her to do her thing [emoji106] and yours is euro 5 (i think [emoji37]) which is less hassle than the latest euro 6 setups. Thats a big reason why i looked at the V6 Navara because i only do 5 miles a day typically. But all thats off now with the mrs leaving, i’ll av to just keep my old van for a bit, which in all fairness is pretty bullet proof!

1 minute ago, Ratman said:

Thats far enough for her to do her thing emoji106.png and yours is euro 5 (i think emoji37.png) which is less hassle than the latest euro 6 setups. Thats a big reason why i looked at the V6 Navara because i only do 5 miles a day typically. But all thats off now with the mrs leaving, i’ll av to just keep my old van for a bit, which in all fairness is pretty bullet proof!

Yep it is euro 5 engine ..........Ratty , sorry to hear about the Mrs leaving .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Yeah- thanks all, seems like options are very limited for someone who absolutely needs 3.5t towing capacity, a good and robust 4wd system etc, preferably the ability to travel on road in low range- or at least enough power so that you don’t need low box to tow 3.5t on steep Dartmoor lanes.

its a well trodden path for me but as I no longer have a tractor the requirement for all the above is even more essential, comfort and ‘features’ are the last priority on my list as only shortish journeys.

No longer have a tractor? I’m not sure you can call yourself a man anymore... 

New tractor required immediately!!! 

• Haha 2

After reading this topic, my Sprinter isn't going to cut the mustard for you Matt as it lacks low range. It would be worth trying to find a 4x4 319 Sprinter with low range through. Powerful and capable. Huge carrying capacity internally compared to a pickup as well as somewhere dry to get changed if needs be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big J said:

After reading this topic, my Sprinter isn't going to cut the mustard for you Matt as it lacks low range. It would be worth trying to find a 4x4 319 Sprinter with low range through. Powerful and capable. Huge carrying capacity internally compared to a pickup as well as somewhere dry to get changed if needs be.

Funnily enough- when you mentioned yours earlier I initially thought a sprinter would be just about the least suitable vehicle for me- but actually the more I think about it I can see many benefits- mobile workshop, carry all tools securely in the back/no need for loading them up from shed eveyday just keep it in their. Ok for moderate off roading. Does it tow 3500kg and does it do it comfortably?

still plan on keeping my landy anyway for glorified wheelbarrow work and proper off road jobs.

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Funnily enough- when you mentioned yours earlier I initially thought a sprinter would be just about the least suitable vehicle for me- but actually the more I think about it I can see many benefits- mobile workshop, carry all tools securely in the back/no need for loading them up from shed eveyday just keep it in their. Ok for moderate off roading. Does it tow 3500kg and does it do it comfortably?

still plan on keeping my landy anyway for glorified wheelbarrow work and proper off road jobs.

I've a 313 remapped so it's effectively a 316. It's still only a 2.1 litre 4 cylinder though. The 319 is a rare vehicle, but will be very much more powerful, and a remap will push it well over 200bhp. 

Mine tows 3t pretty comfortably. It's slow, but OK. 3000kg was as far as I could push the towing limit with SV Tech (factory is only 2000kg as standard). I am pretty sure the 319s are 3.5t as standard.

If you're felling super flush, buy a decent 2wd 319 and send it to Oberaigner in Germany for a proper 4x4 conversion. All round locking diffs and a real upgrade from the Mercedes 4x4 system. Doesn't come cheap though.

The Sprinter driving position is awesome for the lanes as you're 7ft up and can see over a lot of the hedges. I don't think they are quite as narrow on Dartmoor as here either. It's still a big truck though.

There is a reasonable 4x4 319 on eBay but it's expensive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ratman said:

Thats far enough for her to do her thing emoji106.png and yours is euro 5 (i think emoji37.png) which is less hassle than the latest euro 6 setups. Thats a big reason why i looked at the V6 Navara because i only do 5 miles a day typically. But all thats off now with the mrs leaving, i’ll av to just keep my old van for a bit, which in all fairness is pretty bullet proof!

V6 Navara eh? Is that available in uk? 

• Like 1