New Hilux- any DPF issues doing mainly short trips.

Matthew Storrs

Considering new alternatives for my defender- what to minimise downtime issues/mechanics, which as a sole operator and no back up vehicle is becoming costly. Generally not into buying new vehicles but is anyone running a new hilux out there doing short trips mainly- under 10 miles. Have heard about issues with DPFs etc...

Pretty much anything with DPF doing short runs and a lot of ticking over will give you problems. They rely on long runs with constant hot temperatures to keep everything clean and clear within their system by doing “regens” (regenerations) which basically burns off excess soot particles to keep the DPF clear, eventually the particles will build up to a point where a new DPF will be required, but that SHOULD be quite a few years down the line if driven to near enough ideal conditions. Long runs, towing, boosting hard etc...
Vehicles on short runs and that are ticking over a lot that aren’t boosting and being run at constant higher temps cant regen fully when needed, so they end up retaining the soot particles which block the DPF far sooner. This encourages the vehicle to try and do a forced regen, but this often fails too as obviously the vehicle isn’t being run for long periods or at hot temperatures, thus giving engine warning lights and limp mode symptoms.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ratman said:

Pretty much anything with DPF doing short runs and a lot of ticking over will give you problems. They rely on long runs with constant hot temperatures to keep everything clean and clear within their system by doing “regens” (regenerations) which basically burns off excess soot particles to keep the DPF clear, eventually the particles will build up to a point where a new DPF will be required, but that SHOULD be quite a few years down the line if driven to near enough ideal conditions. Long runs, towing, boosting hard etc...
Vehicles on short runs and that are ticking over a lot that aren’t boosting and being run at constant higher temps cant regen fully when needed, so they end up retaining the soot particles which block the DPF far sooner. This encourages the vehicle to try and do a forced regen, but this often fails too as obviously the vehicle isn’t being run for long periods or at hot temperatures, thus giving engine warning lights and limp mode symptoms.

Excellent explanation, Ratty. I've had this problem for the last three years with my wife's Renault Koleos. Pain in the arse. Garage has said to run it once a week on the motorway for half an hour to let the regen work itself out, luckily were only 5 kms from a motorway. Costs a fortune in diesel, thinking seriously in buying a small petrol car. Problem also is with this ridiculous 80kms speed limit on single carriageway roads, the car isn't working hard enough to burn off the soot.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Problem also is with this ridiculous 80kms speed limit on single carriageway roads, the car isn't working hard enough to burn off the soot.

My missus never uses top gear, no matter what the mph, and never has DPF problems :001_rolleyes:

EDIT: Other problems, most certainly, but DPF no.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

My missus never uses top gear, no matter what the mph, and never has DPF problems :001_rolleyes:

EDIT: Other problems, most certainly, but DPF no.

It's the only car that has had this problem. Daughter has the same engine in her Renault Espace, only does short trips, no problems at all. My Peugeot Boxer never has had it, granted my journeys are upto 3 hours each way, but occasionally I end up doing short trips when working locally. The only other car I've heard has problems is the Nissan Qushquai, same engine as the Koleos. My French mate bought one brand new, after 12 months he sold it because of the constant  problems with the filter. Again he only did very short journeys. My wife never uses 6th gear even on the motorway,  impossible to use it on normal roads over here when you're driving at just over 50mph equivalent , maximum speed allowed.

Excellent explanation, Ratty. I've had this problem for the last three years with my wife's Renault Koleos. Pain in the arse. Garage has said to run it once a week on the motorway for half an hour to let the regen work itself out, luckily were only 5 kms from a motorway. Costs a fortune in diesel, thinking seriously in buying a small petrol car. Problem also is with this ridiculous 80kms speed limit on single carriageway roads, the car isn't working hard enough to burn off the soot.

Just tried to put it in “simples” terminology,
DPF’s are a real pain in the ass, the trend that seems to be set is, a person gets the engine management/DPF light come on the dash, they take it back to the dealer because its under warranty, dealer checks it out and traces it to be the DPF/forced regen abort fault [emoji849][emoji849]Dealer will then carry out the necessary repair/forced regen needed to get the light out. They then hand the vehicle back to you explaining that..... on this occasion we have rectified your fault for you and done it purely as a good will gesture, BUT.... that has been caused by you and it is your fault the lights come on because your not driving it right!!! (Eerrrr..... yeah whatever!)
i.e your not driving enough miles or getting the engine hot enough on each journey blah blah blah, and if it is to happen again then we’re sorry but you will not be covered under your warranty conditions!
SLY BARSTEWARDS !!!

My advise to anyone thinking of buying a new diesel would be (unless the vehicle dictates due to your work or daily needs) dont! Buy a petrol, there are plenty of good, very fuel efficient petrol motors out there, far less costly on maintenance too.

Just my opinion of course! [emoji39]
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah- thanks all, seems like options are very limited for someone who absolutely needs 3.5t towing capacity, a good and robust 4wd system etc, preferably the ability to travel on road in low range- or at least enough power so that you don’t need low box to tow 3.5t on steep Dartmoor lanes.

its a well trodden path for me but as I no longer have a tractor the requirement for all the above is even more essential, comfort and ‘features’ are the last priority on my list as only shortish journeys.