New Hilux- any DPF issues doing mainly short trips.

Matthew Storrs

42 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Am I right in thinking you run a Rodeo? 

Well Beau i was gonna buy a Rodeo but an older Isuzu TFS69 came along and stole me heart as it is in excellent condition and low mileage for a 2002 vehicle (came with 67k on it). This is my second one,  the first one did nearly 11 years with only a rear diff pinion bearing and a set of front discs needing replacement so i know they are basic and fairly well put together, the first one was stihl on it's original clutch when i sold it earlier this year with only about 135k on it.  It can only tow 2.7 ton versus most Rodeos be able to tow 3 ton but i only use it as a quote vehicle and for 4x4 access on some jobs so the tow limits are never going to be an issue unless i decide i need a high sided tipping trailer to compliment the equally old Ford Transhit then i'd struggle to stay legal on the weight front. The benefit of my antique 4x4 is it has 2 gear levers versus shift motors as on the Rodeo and relies on no electronics to shift from hi to lo,  it cannot SOTF though.  Initially i wanted a much newer pickup as the old one was looking worn and tired but in buying this 2002 model i have saved about 8k as a nice Rodeo is about 10k used.

Edited by wicklamulla

So is it DPF or Adblue and not both?

If so, my Hilux has Adblue.  That could explain why I have never experienced any DPF issues.  [emoji4]

Will have both, dpf been fitted since 2007 - 2008, adblue for euro 6 vehicles predominantly, but they did do an over lap with euro five engines and introduce adblue, merc being a good example with their bluetec systems.
Adblue only injects after the combustion process i.e after the turbo but before the catalytic convertor, and is temperature dependant too, typically when exhausts temps are above 200 degrees, It doesnt get mixed with the fuel though which a lot of people assume.

No DPF on a 2008 Hilux as I have one and think it became compulsory later in 2009. 

Yeah your right, there are few manufacturers and models out there that didnt have them till it became compulsory, but those engines would comply with euro emission regs at the time, hence the one you have.

31 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Yeah your right, there are few manufacturers and models out there that didnt have them till it became compulsory, but those engines would comply with euro emission regs at the time, hence the one you have.

And just to muddy the waters I found this on Honest John

"Power would stay the same in 2012, but the addition of Euro5 light commercial vehicle standards would see the Hilux fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). "

Edited by Woodworks

And just to muddy the waters I found this on Honest John
"Power would stay the same in 2012, but the addition of Euro5 light commercial vehicle standards would see the Hilux fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). "

Yeah, euro 4 emission regs was acceptable for quite a long time compared to earlier euro 3 regs and later euro 5 regs.
I’ve not had dealings with the hilux, but was that not the year they changed/uprated the injectors and had a lot of issues? Think it was the 3.0 litre engine?? I know they are renowned for having noisey injectors.

If the Hilux is still on the cards, you might want to see how (not) well the rear springs handle simple loads.

An extra leaf spring on each side is definitely on the cards with mine. I use it mostly for towing the Avant and transporting tools and attachments etc so I don’t normally notice any sagging issues. But, then when the odd small job comes along of which the truck is suitable for, I get reminded how bad it deals with a load. 

Here’s a couple of pics from today. The last pic is how it looks empty.

8AAB0F8E-01B0-4159-B8F0-A9D4258183B8.jpeg

2775EFF6-42BB-4134-8614-8ED2E5D46AAE.jpeg

image.jpg

If the Hilux is still on the cards, you might want to see how (not) well the rear springs handle simple loads.

An extra leaf spring on each side is definitely on the cards with mine. I use it mostly for towing the Avant and transporting tools and attachments etc so I don’t normally notice any sagging issues. But, then when the odd small job comes along of which the truck is suitable for, I get reminded how bad it deals with a load. 

Here’s a couple of pics from today. The last pic is how it looks empty.

8AAB0F8E-01B0-4159-B8F0-A9D4258183B8.thumb.jpeg.1ee404f3db2bc3613dcf8c3ee429a7ac.jpeg
2775EFF6-42BB-4134-8614-8ED2E5D46AAE.thumb.jpeg.8f31f6fa06d83876a8ef41f15cdb7481.jpeg
image.thumb.jpg.0ad2247886953bb526cf9098bf069a57.jpg

Yeh you defo need some springs and airbags on that mate! Ours was the exact same, maybe worse as the chip box is bigger on the back. Makes a huge difference getting them.